sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Do any of you teach students with autism? #87239
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Before I retired I had a child who was in a special ed. class in a public school setting.

    One of the reasons I retired was so that I could learn more ways of using music to help her and the

    in reply to: Harpists without piano background #164131
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I also didn’t have piano lessons as a child. My very dear grandmama told my mother she shouldn’t waste the money on them because I’d probably lose interest. I didn’t, but when I finally began lessons it was terribly frustrating, and although I had to take 6 miserable semesters of class piano in college, the most interesting thing I ever did there was fall off the piano bench, nearly giving our timid little professor a coronary.

    When I learned that there were some similarities between reading harp music and piano music I nearly turned and ran the other way. I could read both clefs with no problem, but I was never ever was able to coordinate two hands. I don’t know why I can with harp but thank God, I can.

    People are so different. I imagine that there are people who can become very good players without having previous experience. I really think I was hampered by keyboard fear. It is a joyful thing to take out something you worked on two or three months ago and find that it’s not the dragon (or cricket), you thought it was. Just keep pluckin’.

    in reply to: Folding Harp Cart – Fabulous #163523
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As usual, my description of what I’m talking about makes my cart sound much worse than it is 🙁

    in reply to: Harp Sighting #110117
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Thanks, David!

    in reply to: Folding Harp Cart – Fabulous #163521
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The harp I want to move cost $1700 but was worth a lot more IMO. It is small,

    in reply to: What Key? #164268
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Thank you! Understood! (sorta).

    in reply to: What Key? #164266
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The concept of “key” was difficult for me because I had played transposing instruments in the keys of Bflat and Eflat most of my life. Would it be correct to say that if a harp is fully levered, there isn’t any particular advantage to tuning this way

    in reply to: Folding Harp Cart – Fabulous #163517
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I just bought a cart of sorts for $17 at Staples. It has a bag for music at the back and carries up to 70 pounds, and for my lever harps that travel, it works. There was also a dolly advertised at Lowe’s that looked good to me, having bigger wheels and a bigger platform, but I don’t need that much size yet. Not at all suitable for pedal harps, whatever the size, but just fine for my small levers.

    in reply to: harp ensemble in NJ #166965
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m a new harper but an OLD musician. If my small additions could be used, I’d love to find a harp ensmble to play in. I realize that you are an accomplished harpist, Evangeline.

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160083
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Maybe the problem is that there are so many really good harps that have proved themselves as being good, as opposed to the imported harps who are rarely even fair in quality.
    I’m SURE I would have bought an EBAY harp if I hadn’t done a lot of research first. As it is, I’ve got 3 quite fine harps and I got two of them second hand. It’s possible if you really follow the ads. Try for a little longer to search out a used, good quality harp. If you’re fairly serious, I think your outcome will be much happier with something you can trust.

    in reply to: What do you say? #164302
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I understand your POV, Chloe. It’s really hard to KNOW you want to play and not have anything to practice on.

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #83955
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I solemnly swear I will never make

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #84668
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I solemnly swear I will never make

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #85178
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I solemnly swear I will never make

    in reply to: Do you have footage of great harpists performing? #111090
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m an early TV nut, and besides “The Voice of Firestone” I think there may have been other variety shows that would have featured contemporary harpists (of that era). I don’t know how many were local vs. kinescoped, but I’m going to see if I can find out. My type of project!

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 747 total)