harpcolumn

Do you have footage of great harpists performing?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Do you have footage of great harpists performing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

Hi all,

On other threads I’ve proposed putting together a DVD of performance footage of some of the great harpists of the 20th Century.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

David,

I don’t have any footage, but what you’re trying to do is wonderful!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Good for you, David! I think Eastman probably has some archive footage of Miss Malone playing, but it would most likely be towards the end of her career.

David Ice
    Participant

Thanks, Barbara.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I’m an early TV nut, and besides “The Voice of Firestone” I think there may have been other variety shows that would have featured contemporary harpists (of that era). I don’t know how many were local vs. kinescoped, but I’m going to see if I can find out. My type of project!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

No, sorry no “ins” anymore–time passes, alas. But the school did use to archive all performances there: always audio and sometimes video for special occasions.

While I was there she also played the world premiere of a piece called “The Marshes of Glyn” (can’t remember the composer, but big harp part) and the Debussy Danses with some symphony members and I do remember a video camera there (they were too big to miss back then). Possibly the RPO would know who might have that footage. It would have been in ’83 or ’84 I think. It was not in the Eastman Theatre, though, but in a local church.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Dave,

There may be footage available of Miss McDonald.

john-strand
    Participant

How about Heidi Lehwalder playing the Danses on a 1978 arts channel video or Marisa Robles and James Galway doing the Mozart from about 1985 – I think it was a Lincoln Center program on PBS –

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Jerusha,

ABSOLUTELY Miss McDonald would be a wonderful addition.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Sherry,

Any sleuthing you can do would be wonderful!

David Ice
    Participant

Hi John!

Those would be great to add.

lionel-vargas
    Participant

I had always dreamed and wondered what it would be like to see footage of Miss McDonald performing or even see her live. I listen to her live recording of Renie’s pieces and I am just breath taken. My first teacher, whom I don’t study with anymore,

unknown-user
    Participant

I do know of some if you will contact me directly.

Hi David,

I have the ABC interview of Alice Chalifoux in Camden Maine Labor Day, 1989.

It is a wonderful interview with lots of wonderful views of Camden and the Salzedo School on Sea street. Although Alice was in her 80’s at the time and not really playing anymore, there is a shot of her playing the g minor “Pavane”. There is even footage of several of us performing “Chanson dans la Nuit” with Miss Chalifoux conducting. Kim Rowe, Elizabeth Remy, John Carrington and myself are performing along with two other harpists who full names I have yet to confirm.

Edna Phillips is seen sitting on a bench listening to our performance.

It is a magnificent interview and really captures the Camden experience. It’s a classic for anyone who went to Maine and wants to know more about Alice Chalifoux and the Salzedo School. If anyone is interested in a DVD copy contact me directly.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have at least one other clip of Lucile Lawrence from the Firestone tv show, and there is footage of Salzedo, and the film shown at the 2004 conference, that very few actually got to see. There is also a video of Miss Lawrence giving lessons to a very young student toward the end of her life, but I doubt it would be possible to circulate. Heidi has appeared on Great Performances with Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies