sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Solfege #87088
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Players of pitched instruments don’t use solfege as vocalists do. For vocalists who receive intensive training in solfege, the intervals between sounds assist in identifying melodies without playing them on an instrument. To this day, I can figure out the melody of what my fingers will need to play before I play it.

    Another job done by solfege is to develop awareness of pitches within the scale. For example, the seventh note of a major scale (ti in movable do) favors up to the tonic. Just sounds better in choral singing or even solo singing to do that. Fa favors low. This is by just a teeny bit, but trained singers hear it and do it.

    You may have seen some of my questions about tuning a harp. I don’t really get how a harp can be in tune for all scales when tuned with a tempered scale tuner,

    in reply to: First gig…wish me luck! #164091
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Audrey, I really enjoyed your photos. Your costumes are beautiful, and the harps look wonderful together. Thank you for posting them!

    in reply to: Surface burrs on (nylon) strings #164113
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Oh dear! First- Melissa and young Mr. Rees are wonderfully responsive, but when I have contacted them, they have been pretty frantic with work. Still, they always come through in due time.

    Second, strings and threads of any kind can be death to puppies and kittens, so I’m glad your lad is OK.

    The string thing is maddening, and from experiences posted here, the only solution is to keep a set current at all times. I just had a string go on my Rees Aberdeen and I sent for a single of that string plus a set (hadn’t had

    in reply to: First gig…wish me luck! #164081
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Oh my, so many wonderful things to read about! I can’t wait to get into some of the things you are all playing. I’ve played the Holst in wind ensemble but I can only imagine how wonderful it must sound when played on harps!

    I love the English composers! Has anyone ever played Grainger on harp. I’ll make a guess that some of his work needs pedal harp, but maybe some on lever. Irish Tune from County Derry maybe?

    Best thoughts and wishes for all of you who will be playing this weekend!

    in reply to: Harp Lesson! #157241
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Started preparatory studies for arpeggios today!

    in reply to: position advice sought #87173
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I find that with everything else being equal, the height of the strings is important. My Serenade was a little lower than my teacher’s Prelude, and I place it on a box about 4″ high when I practice, then I have no problem.

    You might want to try breathing when you’re not focused on

    in reply to: Harpists without piano background #164137
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Try this- there’s nothing mystical about it, but I played viola for a good while before I learned alto clef.

    I decided that what I needed was to develop a really solid relationship with the grand staff, so every single night before I went to sleep, I visualized the great staff and the position of middle C (I made that my anchor). Then very slowly, I’d visualize putting the B below middle C on the top space, then add the A and so on. I worked on those 3 notes for a whole week. I also did my visualization when I was brushing my teeth. Of

    in reply to: Grossi question #83528
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Jan, is the English

    in reply to: Harp Lesson! #157237
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Everyone is

    in reply to: Double jointedness #87215
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    After years of having annoying problems balancing the neck of a viola on my thumb I learned that this is actually referred to somewhat formally as “hitchhiker’s thumb”.

    in reply to: Peripheral vision #87231
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    What an interesting observation. I was

    in reply to: Harp Lesson! #157234
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The Charlotte area is one of the places to which I think I’d like to retire.

    in reply to: Do any of you teach students with autism? #87241
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I should also mention that I had used violins in the year previous to last, and they (my students),

    in reply to: Harp Lesson! #157227
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Just had my lesson this morning. I LOVE my lessons and my teacher.

    in reply to: harp finish? #164190
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m so charmed by your idea of fantasy harp, Margaret. Takes all kinds- I tend to lean toward natural finishes, although if someone were to offer me the gift of a mahogany or ebony harp, I wouldn’t run the other way.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 747 total)