Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,396 through 1,410 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Column Theory #72986

    It would not be that hard to test. I would think if you built two identical harps, but gave them two vastly different columns, whether or not there is a clearly measurable difference would prove or disprove the point.

    It seems to me as a matter of pure acoustics, that soundwaves coming from the sounding board are going to be more dispersed by a carved column than by a smooth one. It may be less than 10% of the total sound, but it seems to me that there would be some difference. Whether the dispersal is in the direction you want is another question.

    I am certain I can tell the difference between silver and tarnish-resistant strings. I can certainly tell the difference between gut and nylon on recordings. It all depends on who is listening.

    in reply to: Pedal Harp HELP #107316

    If you respect the teacher, you should act accordingly, I think.

    in reply to: Israel competition #149174

    Are you and Zach Hatcher the same person?

    in reply to: Getting a style 100 #73048

    There is a difference with the more-expensive harps: their wood has been aged longer. The quality is better. The veneers are more carefully chosen.

    An ebony finish, to my view, is adding a thicker layer that will inhibit the sound. As little finish as possible is the ideal. The problem with darker instruments is also that they don’t show up on stage, they are harder to see, but a natural or gold harp will always stand out in the light, and so will the finer carving. That’s why my teacher insisted on natural 23s.

    in reply to: Getting a style 100 #73047

    I disagree with your reasoning, YJ. My parents did not have much money either, but made a better investment by buying the one instrument I would always use and need. I never

    in reply to: Israel competition #149172

    You also want to perform your repertoire many times for an audience. Do you have the repertoire list, then?

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145314

    I recently moved my harp, wedged into what I think was an Explorer. I would not want to do it again. And I was constantly having to tune. I remain convinced the neck must lay flat and be continuously supported evenly throughout its length to be protected.

    in reply to: Three used harps for sale #73118

    Sorry, I have only one snappy line to remember from Miss Chalifoux: “Well, that’s not the only thing I’d like to get straight

    in reply to: Getting a style 100 #73033

    I have been to the showroom twice in the last two years or less. On each visit, I found all the harps to sound good, and most of them to sound pretty much the same. If you can afford a 23, I think that is still the best standard instrument to go buy/by, for sound and appearance and value. A 100 is a good choice too. I think the harps with carved columns have a bit more rounded tone. I think you should get the very best harp that you possibly can unless you are sure you will be able to buy another down the road. I am grateful every day to Frances Miller for insisting that we buy a 23. (She was not even pleased I wanted a Walnut model.) I should have listened to her and gotten the natural. But she didn’t say why, perhaps. Her reasoning was that it had the best resale value if needed, it was the most presentable and useful, and the best quality. I think that is mostly still true. A Salzedo model is marvelous if you want a big, projecting sound, particularly for orchestral playing. Its distinctive look may be less usable in some situations. It is handsome, but the 23 is universally loved. There is something magical in its mish-mosh of different carvings.

    in reply to: Israel competition #149171

    I think their website is down. Perhaps you should contact Judith Liber directly. I will give you one useful tip, and that is to go at least one week early.

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149235

    I saw Candide with such an orchestration, and it truly “sucked.” But the production wasn’t that good, either. The best production of the ones I have seen, including the Bernstein revisions, was by far the one done by Minnesota Opera company. It had a small, but full orchestra, and was wonderfully witty. I wouldn’t go see it again, unless it was something like that production. It certainly needs the harp. Doing “A Little Night Music” without harp would be equally tragic.

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149216

    However, there are many harpists who are sufficiently trained, but go into other careers. They should be filling such posts. And it is good exposure for a professional as well.

    in reply to: Pirastro nylon strings #73175

    As far as I know, it is an industrial secret. They are made of different material, have a different surface. And if you play low on the string, they do sound quite the same as gut. What’s best is if you can get the heavy gauge strings.

    in reply to: IMS-Lyra House catalog binder – It’s FREE #73180

    I don’t know if that was the last one, but the last print catalog they did was too big for the older binder I had.

    in reply to: Ton-That Tiet: Niem #149268

    I doubt anyone has recorded it. His music is old avant-garde, and maybe even graphic notation. Marcella DeCray used to play that kind of thing. You might find it in the AHS tape library.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,396 through 1,410 (of 2,806 total)