Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Con raghezza? #148625

    If the root is raggiare, it would mean “with radiance.”

    That’s why I collected some old music dictionaries, because the recent ones are too limited, but I found that in an Italian dictionary, right after ragazzo.

    in reply to: Con raghezza? #148624

    Or con ragazzo ( with a begging tone?). What piece is it, what is the musical context?

    in reply to: becomming an authorized dealer #106902

    Wow, I didn’t know. That is really nice. It sounds like Prairie Night. I can’t wait to tell ASCAP.

    I’ve never heard the terms for a teacher-dealer, but there is also sometimes a very small commission for referrals that lead to sales.

    in reply to: have you ever kissed your harp? #106859

    What really matters is, did it kiss me back?

    in reply to: Am I too old to learn harp? #157632

    If you have the talent and dedication, you can prepare yourself, and if you already have an undergraduate degree, perhaps get into a master’s program, most likely music education. What might be feasible is that by the age of 32 or so, you will have learned enough to teach and perform, and you might go to a country where they do not really have a professional harpist and build up a community there, or in part of this country, though few areas are left without harpists. To be a top-flight professional performer, you would need to be extraordinary. However, if you are interested in alternative music, the doors are wide open if you come up with a unique approach.

    in reply to: becomming an authorized dealer #106898

    What is the difference between a dealer and a distributor?

    in reply to: Purcell’s Hornpipe in B flat Major Sheet Music #148674

    I think it is very likely in Dewey Owen’s collection of pieces by Purcell, which you should be able to get from Lyra.

    in reply to: getting more reliable students #83404

    Those techniques don’t seem to work on the kind of people I’ve encountered.

    in reply to: getting more reliable students #83401

    I have experienced people who feel free to take advantage of a harp teacher, either by lying or false bargaining. If they think you are weak, they will do it. Some have no respect. With some it must be ego, and then there are those with disorders. Some are snobs, elitist or otherwise, some boorish, some ill-mannered, and some are just mean. Thank goodness it is a (hopefully) minority who are this way.

    in reply to: Embarrassment? #157766

    People do react unpredictably, it is true. But you should be proud.

    in reply to: Soundproofing #72573

    I need to keep sound out, rather than in, so would it work to face the egg cartons outward? I forgot about that technique. How effective is cork? Unfortunately, it has gotten expensive. Mattresses aren’t big enough.

    in reply to: New music #146328

    I agree that there is a major marketing and communication gap between composers, publishers and harpists that is only minimally adressed by current publications. I prefer music from publishers because it has presumably been professionally edited and vetted. It is also usually easier to find. That said, I know how hard it is for composers to get published. If you have the option, I would go with the publisher, if they will print a nice edition. I have done my own, thus far, because the publishers who have offered to publish my music will not do it in the format I require, which is a normal size page (9×12 minimum).

    I don’t know if I’m the one to do it, but we do need a publication or site that has a truly comprehensive list of repertoire, with descriptions and availability. Websites are too disparate, too many domains. I would be happy to host it on my website, but it will take a group of people to maintain it.

    in reply to: History of national harp associations #148685

    I found the listing. I suspect it simply means that it was never dis-organized, as there is no contact address.

    in reply to: History of national harp associations #148684

    I think that the National Harp Association was the first such group. I am not aware of any connection to the AHS, so who is keeping the NHA active? Did you see a listing, and were there names attached?

    I detected no snideness to his comments. I think you are projecting that attribute. If he were being snide, it would be far more obvious, like calling people who play that way incompetent or something derogatory.

    You are trying to

Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 2,806 total)