harpcolumn

Am I too old to learn harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Am I too old to learn harp?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

If you have the talent and dedication, you can prepare yourself, and if you already have an undergraduate degree, perhaps get into a master’s program, most likely music education. What might be feasible is that by the age of 32 or so, you will have learned enough to teach and perform, and you might go to a country where they do not really have a professional harpist and build up a community there, or in part of this country, though few areas are left without harpists. To be a top-flight professional performer, you would need to be extraordinary. However, if you are interested in alternative music, the doors are wide open if you come up with a unique approach.

emily-mcintyre
    Participant

I started at 21 and things have gone quickly for me…

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Gianna Williams
    Participant

I completely sympathise Jade! I started at 38 and now I’m 42 and I’ve played in bands and at weddings, and even held solo concerts and I love the harp and hope to get my diploma one day. However, all the same, I wish I had discovered the instrument earlier! The irony is I remember a harpist coming to my school when I was seven years old, and the harp looked so big and complicated to me then that I discounted it as a possible instrument right there and then. It took me 31 years to change my mind about that! Still, it would have been just wonderful if I’d started at 20. You’re lucky!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies