Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,906 through 1,920 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Widor Choral et Variations #150886

    I don’t know who has performed it in decades, and I have never seen a recording of it.

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159617

    Thumb-under playing, as far as I know, is something some so-called “experts” in early music developed by copying paintings from medieval periods, as though those were faithful documentation of how people played the harp then. But then, some harpers back then only used three fingers to play. It has found its way into some sources as a “legitimate” technique because quite a few people have decided to play this way rather than study with an actual harpist. I can’t stand Andrew Lawrence-King, for example, because he is self-taught, and though he has found wonderful music to play or created it, when I heard him in concert, his harp had the ugliest sound I have ever heard. It barked like a dog. I think it partly due to tuning very low and very loose strings. I think it was also not a harp made with fine wood or the best proportions.

    in reply to: Eastman School of Music #159665

    I hope your book will include a full chart of Mr. Grandjany’s notation symbols and complete list of works. Salzedo saved just about everything from his life, it seems, so there may be correspondence from Mr. Grandjany in his files. He was certainly there in Salzedo’s address book. I always heard they were on quite good terms with each other, and that Salzedo welcomed him when he arrived in the U.S.

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159542

    What strong opinions this brought forth! Perhaps Nat has a natural instinct for the harp and has the genius to play it perfectly on his own. Conventionally speaking, you should take lessons, if only to support the profession, and you may have to undo what you have already gotten used to doing, but do what you want. If you have a harp, you might as well play it. There are several people here who have offered distance learning, including myself. You could also take a weekend trip to a teacher and have a few hours of instruction to get a good start. But, fiddling around, will probably lead to a fiddling sort of technique.

    The only book I would recommend you start with for self-learning is the Method for the Harp by Lucile Lawrence. It has great photos of her hands, and she clearly explains how the hand works. The ABC of Harp Playing is designed for the basic beginner, so use that with it. You could also go into the Pathfinder Studies. The folk-harp books that I’ve seen, just a few of them, would be not-good guides, and even misleading. Where you go with it is up to you, but the best foundation will yield the best results for you. Or do whatever you want. We’re all equal, right, Briggsie?

    in reply to: Salzedo’s The Enchanted Isle #150996

    I heard it performed by Elizabeth Richter at the 2004 national conference of the AHS. I think it is a beautiful piece. It is very atmospheric, impressionistic, and musically challenging. He uses ideas he developed into his Five Poetical Studies. He performed it with several American orchestras as a showpiece.

    in reply to: 1st octave gut strings #75121

    There are some other threads where people like Carl Swanson, Sam Milligan

    in reply to: Camac Trianon 47, lyon healy style 23 #75096

    People know who I am, and my background. I do not hide behind a pseudonym and attack people anonymously. If you expect me to respect your views, try revealing who and what you are.

    in reply to: Caption This #108741

    “I’ve got the world on a string. How about you?”

    “I’m stringing them along.”

    in reply to: What are your goals? #84169

    I don’t think it changes that much with experience. My goals are still to make recordings, to get through performances without audible mistakes or glitches, not any different than when I was young, just on another level, perhaps. When I started, my goal was to be a concert artist, to tour, perhaps join a chamber orchestra, to teach, make recordings, be known. In those days, it all seemed possible. Before Reagan. It all changed by 1984. When I was growing up, one could see recitals by artists like Segovia, Rubinstein, Heifetz, De Los Angeles, Sutherland, Menuhin, even Casals, perhaps, every year, depending where you lived. Sol Hurok was still a visible presence. It was such a different world then. Classical music was on television all the time. I remember seeing people like Perlman (young), Roberta Peters, Jan Peerce, Robert Merrill, and always Marilyn Horne on the Tonight Show. And I’m talking about the 1960s and 70s, even into the 80s. That was a golden age, really.

    in reply to: What are your goals? #84882

    I don’t think it changes that much with experience. My goals are still to make recordings, to get through performances without audible mistakes or glitches, not any different than when I was young, just on another level, perhaps. When I started, my goal was to be a concert artist, to tour, perhaps join a chamber orchestra, to teach, make recordings, be known. In those days, it all seemed possible. Before Reagan. It all changed by 1984. When I was growing up, one could see recitals by artists like Segovia, Rubinstein, Heifetz, De Los Angeles, Sutherland, Menuhin, even Casals, perhaps, every year, depending where you lived. Sol Hurok was still a visible presence. It was such a different world then. Classical music was on television all the time. I remember seeing people like Perlman (young), Roberta Peters, Jan Peerce, Robert Merrill, and always Marilyn Horne on the Tonight Show. And I’m talking about the 1960s and 70s, even into the 80s. That was a golden age, really.

    in reply to: What are your goals? #85392

    I don’t think it changes that much with experience. My goals are still to make recordings, to get through performances without audible mistakes or glitches, not any different than when I was young, just on another level, perhaps. When I started, my goal was to be a concert artist, to tour, perhaps join a chamber orchestra, to teach, make recordings, be known. In those days, it all seemed possible. Before Reagan. It all changed by 1984. When I was growing up, one could see recitals by artists like Segovia, Rubinstein, Heifetz, De Los Angeles, Sutherland, Menuhin, even Casals, perhaps, every year, depending where you lived. Sol Hurok was still a visible presence. It was such a different world then. Classical music was on television all the time. I remember seeing people like Perlman (young), Roberta Peters, Jan Peerce, Robert Merrill, and always Marilyn Horne on the Tonight Show. And I’m talking about the 1960s and 70s, even into the 80s. That was a golden age, really.

    in reply to: Widor Choral et Variations #150885

    It used to be a standard, was Salzedo’s calling card as a young soloist. I have his markings for it.

    in reply to: Book with compete Nutcracker harp part #151032

    How annoying, I bought mine much more recently and got the crappy ones.

    in reply to: Position Affecting Volume? #151025

    Yes, but if only the bass is resonating more, it throws off the balance of registers, which is not good.

    in reply to: Finger traction, noise, and dryness…help! #151001

    Which kind of strings is it? Savarez strings are more prone to that, or new gut strings with a lot of finish on them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,906 through 1,920 (of 2,806 total)