harpcolumn

Eastman School of Music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Eastman School of Music

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    claire-kim
    Participant

Does anyone know who’s going to be next Eastman Harp professor after Kathleen Bride retires?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Did she announce her retirement?

claire-kim
    Participant

Yeah, and they said that she’s leaving the school Feb. 2010

paul-knoke
    Participant

I’m curious as to who “they” are? I know that Prof. Bride is on sabbatical now, working on a book about Grandjany, and Courtney Bress is teaching for her. I haven’t heard anything about applications or auditions, however.

kathleen-bride
    Participant

Contrary to all of these rumors which seem to be circulating, I am not retiring from my position as Professor of Harp at the Eastman School of Music.

I am currently on a short sabbatical to begin writing a book on the Grandjany Method.

My teaching duties are covered by two sitting principal harpists in well known orchestras – Courtney Hershey Bress, Colorado Symphony Orchestra, and Julie Barnes Spring, Toronto Symphony Orchestra. I will return to Eastman at the end of February.

So, to paraphrase the American writer Mark Twain, the rumors of my retirement are more than greatly exaggerated.

To bad the source of these rumors did not check directly with me before starting all of this talk.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I wonder where the rumors started? The first I heard of this was on this thread. I’m really glad you’re staying on there Kathy.

claire-kim
    Participant

I’m so sorry about putting this thread before checking about this carefully. I misunderstood what’s written on Eastman website. I just saw word leave and got shocked. But

I hope your book will include a full chart of Mr. Grandjany’s notation symbols and complete list of works. Salzedo saved just about everything from his life, it seems, so there may be correspondence from Mr. Grandjany in his files. He was certainly there in Salzedo’s address book. I always heard they were on quite good terms with each other, and that Salzedo welcomed him when he arrived in the U.S.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics