patricia-jaeger

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 950 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Newbie to the harp world! #163955

    For theory of music, especially for new players of harp, look at the site http://www.musictheory.net. It’s pretty good, free of charge, and you can do it on your own time, advancing through the levels.

    in reply to: Solfege #87094

    Sometimes the half-step syllables are not given to a student. I had these when quite young and feel it was an advantage to be able to solfege more complicated music.

    in reply to: Wurlitzer Harp Stake Model #68695

    A very small correction: this model is called the Wurlitzer Starke model, after Emil O. Starke. He was in charge of the Wurlitzer harp factory for many years.. Their 1924 catalog, page 12, states: “No regulation even in the slightest degree has ever been found necessary”. Would

    in reply to: Danielle Beck in Salt Lake City #87247

    Calista, she is listed in the AHS Directory on page 85.

    in reply to: Placing in sequence #87374

    Mr. Milligan, I also heard John Cockerill’s recording of the Introduction and Allegro, in 1953, many times. I was on the faculty of a Missouri college, and it was in the music library located in my classroom. I almost wore that record out, I admired his playing so very much. It was good to read his name once more, for he is not mentioned in the Palkovic Bibliography,

    in reply to: Help please: High School Level Harp Parts #83511

    Katie, over the years I have arranged over two dozen harp parts for orchestral

    in reply to: GETTING PAID #149950

    On the contract there is a line to be filled in by the musician who is using the AFof M

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68399

    I was told by Earl Thompson, maker of the non-pedal Linrud harps which were part fibreglas, why he set up his factory to produce harps of that kind. Mr. Thompson is now elderly and no longer produces the harps that sold so well

    in reply to: Eyes changing #164280

    Kay, I have trifocals with no distinct line between the different prescriptions. I had them make the middle section (for harp music, arm’s length) rather large. Top section is for distance; bottom section for reading close text. It works rather well for playing harp. Also, I have a second pair where the whole lens is for the arm’s length prescription, that I use at performances. The first pair, I’m comfortable all day long, around the house gardening or teaching,

    Bernhard Schmidt, who sometimes contributes helpful posts here, is a harpmaker in Germany and has developed a midi harp. This is his web site, where it is described: http://www.harfenbau.de/midiharp.htm.

    Sibelius and Encore both will play back what you have entered, all voices at once,

    in reply to: What shoes to wear for pedal harps #157416

    Irina, Hush Puppies shoe company has a web site. One of their shoe models for ladies is called Angel. It’s a plain pump in several color choices, that has just the right shape toe, flexible sole, and 1 1/2 inch heel. See if it is right for you.

    in reply to: J. Molnar’s book of exercises #87910

    Yes, volumes 1 and 2 of Molnar’s exercise books, that I also use, are very good, and used to be carried by Lyon and Healy. Sometimes, imported music is too expensive to carry so they remove it from their lists.When Molnar left Austria to begin his career in Japan, he was already a fine professional harpist. He distilled the European technique for his students, into the most useful excercises for brilliant technique, and the result of his years of teaching is that Japan has produced many prizewinning harp virtuosos. Perhaps Holywell Music in England has these volumes, which must not be photocopied, of course, since Molnar is still alive.

    in reply to: Harp and violin music #163446

    Miso, A list entitled “Music for Violin and Harp” was available at the Lyon and Healy Music Display, at the World Harp Congress recently. This trifold leaflet has lists of compositions by Brahms, Donizetti, Saint-Saens, Spohr, Tournier, etc, and is for harpists of advanced level. Much easier

    in reply to: Lyrics for O, My Beloved Father #159292

    S.S., your

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 950 total)