harpcolumn

Newbie to the harp world!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Newbie to the harp world!

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Becky,

You are not crazy, nor are you alone.

I showed up to my first harp
    lesson without having ever placed a finger on one. In fact, I had
    never played any instrument before! Out of a late-night random Google search I
    started listening to harp music, nearly obsessively, until I just had to learn
    how to play. I had dreams about it!

However, armed with a good teacher and a
    will to learn, I’m pleased with my progress. So follow your gut!

As for buying a harp – I’d suggest you
    might consider waiting before you commit to a purchase just yet. Your teacher
    (unless you plan to try to self-teach) might have suggestions for you, or, if
    you rent before you buy, you might find a model or preference that better suits
    you. If so, then you’ll be happy that you rented first! (I know I am!)

Have a great journey to the harp!

margaret-helminiak
    Participant

Hey, Becky, I totally understand!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks for the encouraging words! I can’t wait to get started. I have never sat at a lever or pedal harp, so it may be that I end up liking pedal harp as well. There’s just something so friendly and approachable about lever harps that makes me favor them at this point at least. I have to say though, I love all harps!

I also have a “harp fund” that I’ve started. 🙂 Seems to be the only way the money I save continues to be designated for that particular purchase. I’ll be sure to let everyone know when that day finally comes.

Congrats on all the progress!

Thanks to everyone else for their encouragement as well.

Becky

HBrock25
    Participant

Hi Becky…this is Becky!

Are you my twin or something? I just saw this forum today and joined because I had to contact you and let you know we are exactly in the same position right now, doing exactly the same things…except I live in Kentucky…LOL!

Yes, I am also saving for a harp, can’t really afford much, have piano/singing alto background, debating lessons first or buying first, etc. I really want to get my harp for Christmas…but the more I look, the more I want to save up and get one I truly want. Yet, I’m dealing with the anxious unpatient part of me that wants to play. So I use my KEYBOARD (just like you) and play it on harp setting to suffice.

I would like to keep in contact with you because I think it would be good to know someone through this beginning journey who has the same exact questions/problems/likes vs. dislikes as I do.

My email is folsomr@gmail.com. Thanks Becky!

brook-boddie
    Participant

Becky,

Have you checked the Lyon and Healy Certified Preowned Harp website?

jan-fetty
    Participant

For theory of music, especially for new players of harp, look at the site http://www.musictheory.net. It’s pretty good, free of charge, and you can do it on your own time, advancing through the levels.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies