I need a computer program for composing and writing music

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #164006

Does anyone know of a program that would write my new music for the harp through the computer. I have looked at some programs that either need a midi, or only hear one note at a time. I am composing some tunes, and it takes so long to write them out.

Participant
    unknown-user on #164007

In Sebelius, and I think in Fanali, you can play the notes on a keyboard to enter them into the computer, but you need a keyboard and cable to the computer.

tony-morosco on #164008

Yes, Finale does this as well. I rarely do it but it works well.

Participant
    wil-weten on #164009

I like Harmony Assistant: http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm

Nice price and

patricia-jaeger on #164010

Sibelius and Encore both will play back what you have entered, all voices at once,

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #164011

I think Sibelius is HARD TO LEARN. I can turn out manuscripts faster with my quill pen and India ink. It was a huge disappointment to me.

Participant
    unknown-user on #164012

You can download

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #164013

I found Sibelius user friendly and easy. I guess it depends on your bent towards that sort of thing. If you learn the keyboard commands it becomes much easier.

June

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #164014

Wil,

Does Harmony Assistant provide harp font notation?

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #164015

Finale and Sibelius are the big guns of notation programs. Very high learning curve, but very fully featured. Finale is maybe more difficult to get started with but gives you far more control over details than Sibelius.

However, both are major overkill if you aren’t going into the publishing business. As mentioned in this thread, Finale notepad is a free program that gives you basic notational capaibilities.

MusicTime Deluxe from gvox.com is another good beginning level program. Not free, but more features and more user-friendly than notepad.

It all depends on what you need to do.

However, if you are talking about playing the music in, any program is going to require a midi setup. That’s just part of the deal.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #164016

>However, if you are talking about playing the music in, any program is going to require a midi setup. That’s just part of the deal.

There are several programs that put a little keyboard onscreen that you can use to type in the notes, but most of these only take input on one note at time (your mouse can only click in one place).

Participant
    wil-weten on #164017

Hi Jerusha,

Here http://www.myriad-online.com/en/docs/harmonydesc.htm

tony-morosco on #164018

I use the Finale Allegro version. I don’t know if that is still available, but it is a very good compromise between the two. I tried notepad but found it too limited. The full Finale was a bit too much overkill since I didn’t need all the engraving options and the expansion features.

Allegro was affordable but does pretty much everything I need. I just added the Salzedo Harp fonts I ordered from Sylvia Woods. I haven’t had too much time to play around with them yet, but so far I like them.

Participant
    unknown-user on #164019

Wil, I have downloaded the program you suggested. It looks interesting. Is it possible to play the harp with a microphone on it, directly into my computer with Harmony running?

Participant
    David Ice on #164020

I have used Sibelius and found it to be very easy, intuitive, and fast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.