patricia-jaeger

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 950 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: L&H Style 12? #71516

    Over time when I had a harp rental business I had three Style 12s, each of which I bought used. two had 41 strings and one had just 40. The stringing became slightly narrower in the second and first octaves, so that one could miss a string one wanted, if the player’s hands were trained to find octaves and other intervals automatically.

    in reply to: Rent a salvi or Lyon Healy harp in London… #70926

    Chris, go to: http://www.holywellmusic.co.uk.php. Click on Harps. choose Harp Rentals, and then choose Contact Us to see what they have available.

    in reply to: Expectations #83128

    Some people posting here can expand their weekly lesson information considerably, free of charge, by visiting http://www.harpspectrum.org, a non-profit educational site started by Joyce Rice and myself more than ten years ago. We realized that teachers in the one-hour lesson cannot give enough information on harp composers, performers, makers, styles of playing, etc. to give a student a broader view of the world of the harp. Try it; you’ll like it! Louise Trotter (Country music on harp), Stella Castelluci (Hollywood and movie harp), Ray Pool (master of the flying levers and blazing pedals

    in reply to: Catching some “Zzzzzs” #105535

    Ive enjoyed all of the responses, because I also play sometimes for retirement and nursing homes, as I just did last Saturday. As usual I told a little about each piece before playing it, and when I was about to play Londonderry Air I mentioned that there were three other sets of words to that same melody. You know: Danny Boy, My Gentle Harp, and Farewell to Cuculain. I assumed that Cuculain was a village or other area in Ireland, but a man with a “walker” in the back row knew more than I did. He told me it was a “warrior song”. There is no end to learning, and we can learn much from those dear older people who have been through a lot more than we have, not always on a smooth road! Cherish your grandparents, not for what they own, but for what they are!

    in reply to: memorization #147561

    Like some others in posts here, I do not perform from printed music; everything is memorized. Unlike violin, that I also play and teach, the harp permits us to see the shapes that

    in reply to: x-mas harp music (students) #83092

    Angels’ Carol by John Rutter. She would be accompanying a choir with this harp part. With this in her repertoire, because of the beauty of the whole composition and the frequency that

    in reply to: Just the right concerto competition piece #147689

    Jordan, is there a time limitation? Neither the Introduction and Allegro by Ravel, nor the Aria in Classic Style by Grandjany are formally called “concertos” but these composers did not write an actual concerto for harp. However these works should serve as such in a competition, as long as the timing fits the guidelines set by the judges. Or you could shorten your presentation.

    in reply to: Spanish Music #166016

    Musicworks@bellsouth.net has published three volumes: Spanish Music For The Harp, arranged by Susann McDonald and Linda Wood. These ten pieces, mostly Spanish dances composed by Granados, Albeniz, etc. were originally for orchestra or piano and harpists love to now have them in the repertoire.

    in reply to: Harp and Viola Duets #166043

    Just remembered another good source of viola music of all kinds: The Viola, a Complete Guide for Teachers and Students, by Henry Barrett.

    in reply to: Does anyone have . . . #105716

    Kay,

    You could also try Hal Leonard’s Classical Fake Book. There are many waltzes at the back, and people

    in reply to: Harp and Viola Duets #166042

    Will, Any viola and harp duets up through 1965 are listed in Margaret Farish’s book: String Music in Print, published by R.R.Bowker Company, New York. Large libraries would have this, and most music conservatories in the U.S. Only two duets are listed, however; one by Arnold Bax and one by Quincy Porter! However, in the same volume, eighteen pages of viola and piano

    Pauline, try Michigan Harp Center, and ask the lady in charge named Kelly. If she does not have the music she will have some recordings. Otherwise you can contact Anna-Maria by e-mailing her where she is Harp Professor at the American University of Bulgaria in Blagoevgrad there: AMRDean@nws.aubg.bg, or FAX to her at 359/2943 3505. Let me know if you succeed or not; I have most of her sheet music and arrangements, given when she stayed with me three times while trying to obtain U.S. citizenship. She finally succeeded.

    in reply to: Book recommendations please – harps #146711

    A Harp in the School published by American String Teachers Association is now available through Alfred Music, the well known company. It is item number 98-2006015563 . Any beginner on the harp would do well to read this, written by several harp professionals; it saves much time in the learning process and supplements any hands-on lessons you may take. Another book full of practical information is Laurie Riley’s The Harper’s Handbook, copyright 1991, published by Mayapple Publishers, 1424 Crain St, Evanston, Il, 60692. I also highly recommend the Roslyn Rensch book already mentioned above, as well as these two memoirs of well known harpists:Alfred Holy Memoirs by Artiss de Volt, published by Lyra Music in Florida, 1985; and Henriette Renie, Living Harp by Francoise des Varennes, available from Music Works-Harp Editions, published 1990, 2208 Covenanter Drive, Bloomington, IN 47401.

    in reply to: Charging for gigs #157183

    Arya, you might want to telephone the Seattle Musicians’ Association (206) 441 7600 to ask what a reasonable price is, for

    in reply to: transporting pedal harp on airliner #105915

    This is anecdotal, as I am not sure if I heard it, or read it somewhere, and perhaps someone else can confirm:

    Osian Ellis, well known Welsh harpist, shipped his pedal harp in a case, from the U.S. back to the U.K. in the cargo hold. An employee there believed it was a coffin and meant to be buried at sea – it was dumped out of the plane, over the ocean.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 950 total)