harpcolumn

Catching some “Zzzzzs”

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Catching some “Zzzzzs”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I played my lever harp at a local assisted living home on Saturday.

diana-day
    Participant

What a wonderful story, Kay. Can you tell us a bit

kay-lister

Hi Diana,

I played for an hour, just easy listening music with some Christian pieces thrown in, some soft Irish, and Aura Lee, What a Wonderful World, Unchained Melodye . . . that sort of music.

diana-day
    Participant

Thanks, Kay, for the info. My mother-in-law was in a nursing home and I often thought I’d like to do something for the people there. I’m working up a repertoire with a similar mix and hope to volunteer in the next year. It’s so helpful to hear what others are playing and how people respond.

kay-lister

Diana,

Great!

diana-day
    Participant

Sounds like

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

My violinist duo partner, Ron Erickson and I

Ive enjoyed all of the responses, because I also play sometimes for retirement and nursing homes, as I just did last Saturday. As usual I told a little about each piece before playing it, and when I was about to play Londonderry Air I mentioned that there were three other sets of words to that same melody. You know: Danny Boy, My Gentle Harp, and Farewell to Cuculain. I assumed that Cuculain was a village or other area in Ireland, but a man with a “walker” in the back row knew more than I did. He told me it was a “warrior song”. There is no end to learning, and we can learn much from those dear older people who have been through a lot more than we have, not always on a smooth road! Cherish your grandparents, not for what they own, but for what they are!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies