column

Catching some “Zzzzzs”

Home Forums Coffee Break Catching some “Zzzzzs”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I played my lever harp at a local assisted living home on Saturday.

diana-day
    Participant

What a wonderful story, Kay. Can you tell us a bit

kay-lister

Hi Diana,

I played for an hour, just easy listening music with some Christian pieces thrown in, some soft Irish, and Aura Lee, What a Wonderful World, Unchained Melodye . . . that sort of music.

diana-day
    Participant

Thanks, Kay, for the info. My mother-in-law was in a nursing home and I often thought I’d like to do something for the people there. I’m working up a repertoire with a similar mix and hope to volunteer in the next year. It’s so helpful to hear what others are playing and how people respond.

kay-lister

Diana,

Great!

diana-day
    Participant

Sounds like

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

My violinist duo partner, Ron Erickson and I

Ive enjoyed all of the responses, because I also play sometimes for retirement and nursing homes, as I just did last Saturday. As usual I told a little about each piece before playing it, and when I was about to play Londonderry Air I mentioned that there were three other sets of words to that same melody. You know: Danny Boy, My Gentle Harp, and Farewell to Cuculain. I assumed that Cuculain was a village or other area in Ireland, but a man with a “walker” in the back row knew more than I did. He told me it was a “warrior song”. There is no end to learning, and we can learn much from those dear older people who have been through a lot more than we have, not always on a smooth road! Cherish your grandparents, not for what they own, but for what they are!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.