Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantHi to all,
To state the probably obvious – only the first paragraph above is directed to Bernhard
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantBernhard,
I was thinking of a different tension – but yes, I see, from the point of view of the torsion from the neck, the plywood column would be more likely to bend/break, and would be weaker (although I’m not sure if the 50% figure is quite right).
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantHello to all!
The enormity of this project is beginning to hit me.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantFiona,
Just another perspective.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantHi Liam,
I was looking at the musicmakers site, and they sell a “universal” lever that they claim works with strings made of metal.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantHi to all,
This whole classification thing is pretty interesting.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantLiam,
I’m not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but here’s a widely used string tension calculator:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/NewScalc/String tension calculators like this, as well as the actual formulas behind them, are readily available on the web-
The question of arched versus straighter neck – I was under the impression that one of the reasons for the harmonic arch is to reduce the length of the strings in the higher ranges – as a result, you can use a lower
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantLiam,
As long as it doesn’t cause you or Audrey structural problems (or progressive structural problems over time), that’s the main thing.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantHi Audrey,
Yes, I see that that’s 3 ply laminate, with each ply being – 1/2″ or so?
I had this idea – just speculative, based on observation – with a harp with levers, you have the bridge pin bearing some of the stress from the string relative to the neck.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantAudrey,
That’s certainly true about the wedge-shaped friction pegs, which for the violin puts an additional stress on the hole.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantAudrey, Liam,
Hi. I been following some of your postings here.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantKathy,
For what its worth – I used to own a 19 string harp, without levers, made in Pakistan.
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantWhoops!
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantHi Audrey,
It seems like you and I are destined to take opposing views in most areas!
michael-rockowitz
ParticipantCarl,
As some of the folk above pointed out, when we talk about performance anxiety, we seem to be talking about at least 2 (and probably more) very different problems.
-
AuthorPosts