Liam M

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160171
    Liam M
    Participant

    Hi Audrey!! How are you?

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160169
    Liam M
    Participant

    Forgot to mention, the test jig is adjustable. I can vary Arch to Soundboard dimension

    in reply to: Venezuelan Harp Help! #157717
    Liam M
    Participant

    George,

    Just looked through Zora’s site, I speak Spanish fluently and lived in Venezuela for years, (Hola Zora, Como estais vos!). Sadly not a whole lot of help there for you. However, from my experience the Venezuelan harp is close to the Peruvian harp and I believe shares common ancestory

    in reply to: Calibration #160194
    Liam M
    Participant

    Geri has your string breakage lessened? I was concerned as 13 htz high is not excessive and your string breakage should not be occurring. When I am settling in a new string on a test jig I frequently bring it a full step and one half over and allow it to settle back down over night without breakage.

    What harp do you have?

    in reply to: String Gauge Chart #160200
    Liam M
    Participant

    Contact Jean at Vermont Strings… She’ll need dimensions, but she can size your strings for you readily.

    in reply to: Is my old Clark Irish Harp still playable? #75337
    Liam M
    Participant

    Could you post pictures of the damaged areas ?

    in reply to: Got my new case! Wow! #160702
    Liam M
    Participant

    Couldn’t resist. (It’s in my blood)

    Liam M
    Participant

    Thanks Audrey… You know, I wonder of the engineer in me did not shoot me ion the foot. I never gave the double stringing much of a try and went right to the single string configuration, but the Trinity I am rescuing had double stringing….hmmm Points to ponder, perhaps the double stringing provides a relief?

    in reply to: Got my new case! Wow! #160700
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey,

    Was the chopstick Spuce? Or Cherry?

    in reply to: Has anyone ever become proficient by just jamming? #109774
    Liam M
    Participant

    Thank you all. Steven you truly hit home. I have been reading the replies aloud to my wife, (Micheal, she wants to know if you are my long lost twin?), and she and I both gave pause at Steve’s excellent advice and the very sincere manner in which it was offered.

    I leave tomorrow on a three week trip. Steve, my harp goes with me and I will be spending my motel evenings practicing. I will hate it, but I will do it. You are right.

    Thank you.

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160817
    Liam M
    Participant

    Aodhán has a lovely voice! Thank you for sharing that Audrey, I do so admire your dedication and preserverance. I really should do that myself some day. However….

    Forgive me Father for I have sinned

    And what was your sin my son?

    I stopped practicing seriously and became addicted to jazzing with Jimmy Buffet music!

    I am afraid I have become addicted to it and then I discovered how lovely Clarsita complements the steel drums. I am now a prisoner of Margaritaville!

    Audrey I am ruined for life!!

    in reply to: “Harpers do it…” #160658
    Liam M
    Participant

    Actually I like the simple and elegant, do we really need more?

    Harpers Do It!

    in reply to: Gestation of a harp – update #160468
    Liam M
    Participant

    Hmmmm I am going to send the designer some questions… why not equidistant with the accidentals just a tad higher?

    in reply to: Gestation of a harp – update #160467
    Liam M
    Participant

    I tried rosin and chalk dust as well, but I was past that point and the dowels were my only answer. I also believe the parallell grain alignment to the pin helps as well. I chose the birch dowels as they are slightly “elastic” and seem to return more to the original shape when stressed…now they are inserted in cherry and did cause a mild cracking at first, but I have measured and monitored it since the original cracks appeared and there has been no progression. I suspect the birch swelled a wee bit more from the glue then the cherry did.

    in reply to: Gestation of a harp – update #160466
    Liam M
    Participant

    Thanks Michael!!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 294 total)