Liam M

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Traveling with Harp on US Airways or American Airlines #75704
    Liam M
    Participant

    How can I say this in a subtle manner?

    in reply to: Flying Commercial Airlines with a Lever Harp #109101
    Liam M
    Participant

    How can I say this in a subtle manner?

    in reply to: Rusty tuning pins #109120
    Liam M
    Participant

    I agree, this is getting deeper all the time. This instrument has been abused and may not even be recovereable at any sort of reasonable price. Time to let a skilled

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160184
    Liam M
    Participant

    Dennis…. I just stopped by a Guitar store with my harp… BOY YOU SHOULD SEE THE CROWD THAT DRAWS!!!… They had Right Hand Thumb pikcks, but no Left Hand… Need to find them on line I guess?

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160183
    Liam M
    Participant

    Not with this arch, I varied the pin spacing to develop different angles on the soundboard. I need to make another arch spacing the pins to acchieve parallel strings

    in reply to: Rusty tuning pins #109117
    Liam M
    Participant

    BEFORE YOU PULL ANYTHING OUT, Determine zithers or tapers!!

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160181
    Liam M
    Participant

    Hmmm…..

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160180
    Liam M
    Participant

    Greetings to you as well… Thanks, I will try that…

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160177
    Liam M
    Participant

    Well… I am not sure yet of some of the algorthms involved, but if we could develop them, we could program it.

    in reply to: teaching students to read music #84404
    Liam M
    Participant

    Heidi,

    As a total novice to music, I have struggled considerably. To sight read music I spent some time to create music sheets using MS Excel and I have the Letter of the note embedded in each one. I then set up a few tunes to use for practice. Working with those, I learn a lot faster to interpret on the fly by the visual picture.

    in reply to: teaching students to read music #85627
    Liam M
    Participant

    Heidi,

    As a total novice to music, I have struggled considerably. To sight read music I spent some time to create music sheets using MS Excel and I have the Letter of the note embedded in each one. I then set up a few tunes to use for practice. Working with those, I learn a lot faster to interpret on the fly by the visual picture.

    in reply to: blind student #82527
    Liam M
    Participant

    Turlough O’Carolan: Irish Harper

    Turlough O’Carolan (Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhalláin)
    was born in 1670 near Nobber, County Meath and died March 25, 1738 at
    the home of his patron Mrs. MacDermott Roe in Alderford, County
    Roscommon. He was one of the last Irish harpers who composed and a
    significant number of his works survive in single line melody.
    Carolan’s fame was not due to his skill with the harp (having started
    at 18), but to his gift for composition and verse.

    Carolan’s father, John, was
    either a farmer or a blacksmith. (An iron founder according to
    Britannica, subsistence farmer according to New Grove Dictionary of
    Music and Musicians). John Carolan moved his family to Ballyfarnon when
    Carolan was fourteen to take employment with the MacDermott Roe family.
    Mrs. MacDermott befriended the boy and gave him an education. Around
    the age of 18 Carolan was blinded by smallpox.

    in reply to: Calibration #160196
    Liam M
    Participant

    That’s great to know!

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160175
    Liam M
    Participant

    Michael,

    The brass is coming from Ace hardware, it’s manufactured by K&S engineering. I have .014 to .020 on hand right now.

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160174
    Liam M
    Participant

    The THUMBS do not like the strings… My thumbnails constantly catch or miss the string and manage to strum it when I am trying to damp it. Something about the angle and the approach, my fingers can dance across the strings, but the thumb plows!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 294 total)