Liam M

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102840
    Liam M
    Participant

    What I see is a very judgemental self righteous woman feigning offense.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102836
    Liam M
    Participant

    Is it seeking sensationalism and pushing the boundaries to exhibit passion for a cause?

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160812
    Liam M
    Participant

    Dennis, I am warming to the Trinity. However it is still disassembled in restoration and I am far from my shop… so it will be some time before I finish it. I must admit, I prefer the Cherry and hope Muis continues to offer it. It is hader to work, but I just like the wood better.

    in reply to: Harp cases/gig bags #161677
    Liam M
    Participant
    in reply to: a warm tone or bright tone in a harp–which do you prefer? #109847
    Liam M
    Participant

    Bright, Happy,

    in reply to: sharping lever comparisons #156998
    Liam M
    Participant

    Mike,

    in reply to: Harp cases/gig bags #161676
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey,

    Don’t forget the possibility of just picking up a cheap suitcase. For what you describe it could meet your need until you find something more to your taste.

    in reply to: sharping lever comparisons #156993
    Liam M
    Participant

    Repeating what Barbara said, levers and wire strung do not mix. And as to double strung, is not one purpose of most double strungs to provide the accidentals?

    in reply to: Malfunctioning lever #161751
    Liam M
    Participant

    You are more then welcome.

    in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161732
    Liam M
    Participant

    And would thse worms be metal or nylon/gut?

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160805
    Liam M
    Participant

    Karen,

    I do not have my notes with me, and

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160802
    Liam M
    Participant

    Really? I am glad for you…

    in reply to: Harp cases/gig bags #161670
    Liam M
    Participant

    I used to repair sails and upholstery when I was cruising to make money, trust me Audrey it really is not difficult if I can do it.

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160799
    Liam M
    Participant

    You are correct Micheal, the laminate is ~1.5cm each. and the stress on the pin is exactly correct as well. My pins are seated quite well as you can see, so the second ply is definitely engaged. The cracks are not deep, <1mm. I have relaxed my strings and run my zithers in further to reengage with a deeper depth.

    Part of the issue is the arch facing piece grain is perpendicular to the axis of the strings, however the sandwich piece is parallel to it. I strongly suspect had the facing piece grain been oriented parallel to the string, this cracking would have never showed. But not sure that asthetically that would suit. it would require quite a wide cherry plank or multiple pieces such as my sandwich piece is.

    Audrey is quite coreect in the mahogany Trinity being multiple laminates.

    in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161719
    Liam M
    Participant

    Totally intriguing. I am still simply a plinker so the issue of classical vs folk is not an issue. I have even heard that concert harp players are harpists whereas folk harp players are harpers.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 294 total)