Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: John Doe #158816
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Ok, 20 (or less) questions then?
    Are you a harp builder?
    If so, pedal or lever?
    If not, are you a member of an orchestra?
    If so, are you a conductor?
    If not, do you work in a music store?
    If so, does this music store sell ONLY harps?
    If not a music store, do you work in the music industry?
    As a composer?
    As a studio recording tech?
    As a booking director?
    As a video tech?
    Do you play any instrument at all?
    If so, are you a RECOGNIZED professional at your instrument?
    If not,are you famous or well-known in any other way?
    Are you keeping people in the dark concerning your identity just for fun?
    Or are you truly concerned about revealing your identity?

    in reply to: I’m getting a harp! #158863
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well good for you! I have a Musicmaker’s Voyageur and love it! I’ve heard the Regency is one of the best-sounding folk harps around. I almost got one myself.

    Love the name you picked- I’m certain you’ll have many wonderful years of making music together :-)

    Congrats!

    Karen

    in reply to: Yet another new harper! #158888
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    You are most welcome here, Hannes! I am a self-taught harper- used the Sylvia Woods method book and just recently the Pamela Bruner series. Really like the Pamela Bruner books, she is very thorough with her explanations, and her DVD’s are a must for the self- taught, IMO.

    I also have a Limerick from Musicmaker’s that I built from a kit. Is yours cherry or walnut? Nylon or wire strings? You will love this harp- the tone and projection is wonderful!

    You might be interested to know that Harpo Marx was self-taught (if you didn’t know already). Just be careful you don’t fall into any bad habits- it’s easy to do, and I’ve set myself back having to break some of those bad habits. If you can get a teacher, I highly recommend it. If not, pay close attention to hand position and posture. Try to get someone to watch you as you play to help you self-correct.

    Merry Meet! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: choosing a harp #158736
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Deb, check out the post in Coffee Break called “I am in Harp Heaven!”- I posted links to pics near the bottom.

    On that note, it is time to tune Gwydion again!

    Karen

    in reply to: choosing a harp #158733
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I consider myself extremely fortunate that my harps found me, rather than the other way around. I knew the first time I set eyes on Musicmaker’s Voyageur harp that it was the right harp for me at the time. And then, the Limerick grabbed me and I had to have it (wire-strung of course). Then, finally (but this was always my first choice) the Heartland Dragonheart. I always go with my instincts on these type of things, and have yet to have “buyer’s regret”. Each of my harps have their own unique and amazing sound. My only real dilemna was coming up with the $$! LOL

    Best of luck Deb, what a delightful dilemna to be in! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!” #149881
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    All perils professional insurance is another expense we incur as harpists. This is something that people don’t think of either. Not many other musicians lug around an instrument that is worth thousands of dollars. It makes me nervous too when someone attempts to move my harp for me- insurance coverage or not.

    Karen

    in reply to: I am in Harp Heaven!! #107969
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks Sherry- the artwork was a collaboration of Pamela Bruner and I emailing and

    in reply to: I am in Harp Heaven!! #107964
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Here’s another. And now the whole harp…

    http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/lavendark373/057.jpg

    http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/lavendark373/060-1.jpg

    So, so happy! Still in a state of shock- just can’t believe my dream harp is real and in my possession. I feel like I’ve bounced into an alternate reality of sorts (LOL). If someone can give me a clue I’ll post these pics and more without the links. I just got a few shots in and plan on taking more outside where you can really appreciate the fine woods that make up this beauty. He has been dubbed “Gwydion”, BTW. Brought him up to pitch once so far- the sound is extraordinary, so beautiful it almost hurts. But couldn’t be happier!

    LOVIN’ IT!! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: I am in Harp Heaven!! #107963
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Here are some pics! Hope I do this right…

    http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/lavendark373/062.jpg

    in reply to: I am in Harp Heaven!! #107961
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I keep checking the Fed Ex shipping status every hour on the hour! The thing is, I work tommorrow until 6 pm so my husband will be the one accepting the shipment. I already warned him that if he values his life to not open it up until I get home (LOL!).

    I will definitely post pics :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Sylvia Wood’s music #158906
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Yup, I have these songs too, and I know exactly what you mean. Try a lighter touch on those rolled chords, loosen your wrists and let them flow. It’s easy to tense up and get choppy in these sections. If you have to, drop the four finger chords and play them with three fingers instead. There’s no shame in being comfortable with the song, and it’s bound to sound better if you are. Assess, adapt, and overcome! :-)

    Happy to help in any way, Anna. Helping in and of itself is thanks enough.

    Karen

    in reply to: Sylvia Wood’s music #158904
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have that book too- I’m currently “ironing out” the B version of Danny Boy. Sometimes I’ll just learn the melody lines on some of the songs and add my own harmony using the chord notations. I appreciate the fact that Sylvia includes these in most of her books- you can personalize an arrangement easier this way.

    Karen

    in reply to: I am in Harp Heaven!! #107958
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Update: My dream harp has been shipped! It is scheduled to arrive Thursday- so, so excited!

    in reply to: Sylvia Wood’s music #158902
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Which books do you have? I have many of Sylvia’s books and sometimes it takes a while to smooth out the more advanced versions, especially those that have a lot of consecutive 3 and 4 finger chords. Some versions flow from your fingers, and some take a lot of work. Try working out the more difficult measures first, and feel free to change up the fingerings if they don’t feel comfortable.

    Hope this helps, and no, it’s not just you :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Finger Care #108034
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    About once a week I apply pure shea butter to my fingertips, seems to keep them softened up pretty well. I remember one time over the winter when I stopped using shea butter and let my fingertips get dry, squeak, squeak, squeak went those strings!

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 542 total)