Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: hello new to group #158951
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    ahhhh-just lovely! Her style is very similar to the one I’m trying to cultivate. The emotion, the embellishments, this to me is what it’s all about. Thanks so much for sharing, this was a real treat. :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: hello new to group #158949
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    hmmmm….I tried this link twice and it keeps saying “video requested is not available”.

    After some thought and perspective, I’ll probably find a way to work things out- I’ll just have to fight harder for my dream is all.

    Karen

    in reply to: hello new to group #158946
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Ah, good! I suspected the gut strings in the upper octaves of both the Ogden & Preludes were to blame for breakage issues, so you should be fine.

    I agree with you on the wire, the sound is completely different (more liquid? esp. in rolled chords). And those two octaves below middle C are important. And now you can definitely stick with the technique you’re used to, and relax and enjoy the music you make.

    At this point the only thing that’s keeping me up at night is financial worries. But I won’t bore you with the details- suffice to say my dream harp may be up for sale before I get it unless something in this country changes soon.

    Enjoy your new harp, I think it looks very nice! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: hello new to group #158944
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, cool! I’ll have to check it out. I’ve heard a lot of nice things about the tone of these harps, although there seems to be an issue with some about string breakage (hopefully you won’t have to deal with that). Bubinga

    in reply to: Insurance #73632
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, the insurance company I was going to go with told me if I played for even tips I would have to get a commercial insurance policy, which was separate from my renters policy. So, another insurance policy = more money. I’m definitely not happy with the fact. I’m hashing over getting an all perils personal items coverage policy that will cover just my insruments at this point. It winds up being $11 more a month in addition to my renters, which is doable. Still checking around on the professional premiums though.

    Karen

    in reply to: Your favorite kind of music to play? favorite pieces? #106374
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    It is on the session website, in the key of G. Go here:

    http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/211

    Now, there are no chord notations, but they are as follows:

    G-Bm-C-D-G-Bm-C-G (repeat)

    C-Bm-C-Em-C-Bm-C-G

    C-Bm-C-Em-C-Bm-D-G

    Feel free to make this your own by adding rolled chords, arpeggios on the dramatic Em chord in the last line, etc. I don’t believe it’s possible for me to ever tire of this particular tune.

    Karen

    in reply to: Your favorite kind of music to play? favorite pieces? #106373
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, now that is a story within itself, and one that I’m really not at liberty to share fully. The person who sent me this music is someone I really admire and I wouldn’t want to “put her on the spot”- she gave me a copy

    in reply to: Ogden Broken Strings! #158581
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Romy-

    One of my dear harpist friends has an L&H Prelude 40, and she had quite a few strings break even with those plastic grommets. I really think it might have to do with gut strings and high tension in those upper octaves (if gut strings are what the Ogden is strung with). It seems to be a fairly common occurence with L&H harps, at least with these two models. Luckily, my friend contacted L&H about the problem and they replaced all her strings at no charge. They are now stringing the new Prelude 40 harps with nylon in the upper octaves due to this problem.

    Karen

    in reply to: Ravenna 34 #74014
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Umm, there’s different grades of birch. 5-ply aircraft quality birch is the strongest. Not sure what Heartland uses on their Dreamweaver, you’d have to call Dave Woodworth and ask him what and why the warranty is shorter. Maybe it has something to do with the lowered cost and as an encouragement to trade up to one of their performance models, as I believe the Dreamweaver is meant to be an economy-wise/beginner model.

    Karen

    in reply to: Ogden Broken Strings! #158578
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Are they gut strings? If so, are you noticing them breaking mainly in the upper octaves? If so, you may want to consider switching them out with nylon. Call L&H and discuss this with one of their technicians, and the place you rented the harp from.

    Good Luck,
    Karen

    in reply to: Style 11 on ebay #74006
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    What a shame! I wonder how deep the marker ink has sunk into the surface lacquer. Does anyone know what type of finish L&H uses?

    in reply to: Your favorite kind of music to play? favorite pieces? #106368
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Most Celtic/folk music, but also some Classical, New age, and Hymns. Specifically (at this point):

    Land O’ the Leal (Scottish)

    Inis Oirr (‘Inisheer’, Irish)

    The Water Lily (Norse)

    Claire De Lune (Classical)

    Gathering Dusk (New Age, Bruner)

    Pie Jesu (Hymn/Popular,

    in reply to: Hello! Newbie harper here! #157465
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Welcome to the gang, Cheryl! I happen to be a self-taught harper as well, in a similar situation as yours (no harp teacher for miles and miles). Started out on a small 22 string lap harp, and moved up to a 33 string floor harp about 3 years ago. It’s been and continues to be

    in reply to: Camac or Truitt Sharping Levers #74075
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Sorry, I meant Jerusha. Please pardon my menopause brain…

    Karen

    in reply to: Camac or Truitt Sharping Levers #74074
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Sherry,

    I absolutely do not find any bias in your suggestion. I am also an adult beginner myself, and marking my levers this way worked very well, and it didn’t open a door of dissapointment for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 542 total)