Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The birth of a harp #160785
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Actually, I have grown my nails out a wee bit and have plucked the strings with them. The main thing I noticed

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160784
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Liam,

    Are you referring to the Clarsach society- wire division? I tried joining them too a while back and you’re right, they are complicated. Maybe we could start a wire-strung harp section on this forum. (Along with a do-it-yourself builder’s section!).

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160779
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I’m tempted to order those Alaska piks myself, Liam! I usually play with the finger pads (eek!) and use the dreaded hitchhiker hand position (double-eek!). But I may break from “non-tradition” and attempt using these piks. Should I use the brass or plastic? I’m leaning towards plastic since it appears they offer these in small- my hands are tiny…

    Karen

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160776
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    What a little beauty, Audrey- congratulations! I especially like the curved pillar.

    I share your growing out process with my own locks- I call it “growing old gray-cefully“. LOL

    in reply to: How long should one practice #86226
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: If you happen to be in Ireland (or in the same time zone)… #161776
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I saw it!!!! Great job Audrey! What brand harp are you playing? I didn’t get a real good look at it, so I couldn’t be sure if it was a lap or full-size. Sounded beautiful…

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161823
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    That A pickup throws me off too- it is definitely an awkward way to launch into the piece. The second (melody)section D-D is difficult for me too. But then I’m trying to play it at Sylvia’s speed, which is breakneck to say the least…

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161820
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    That song is a bear for me, Audrey! I originally played it on my little 22 string Irish lap harp (which is now celebrating its 19th birthday!) and of course played it with improper technique. Now I am learning it over with proper technique and am trying to get it up to Sylvia’s speed on the video. Darn near impossible to get my fingers to fly as fast as hers on this song. Are you playing it at that speed or “leisurely” as it is indicated in the book? Just curious…

    in reply to: How long should one practice #86220
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: Merry Christmas! #110269
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Merry Christmas and Happy Yuletide!

    May we all celebrate the

    in reply to: Reading music #161265
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Another thought occurred to me about patience in your approach to learning music. Learning music is like learning another language in

    in reply to: Anyone name their harps? #105505
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I remember the first time I ever read a book that mentioned a harp in it. It was The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A character named Kevin Harper had a full-size harp that he called “My Lady”. Kevin was a cripple and yet was admitted into the Druid class because of his great skill with the harp. He had a bond with his harp that was not just musical but spiritual. That is how I feel about my harps. Some would consider that wacky too, Fairy Reel….

    in reply to: Divided Interests, Divided Heart? #86273
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well put, harp guy. I too started out on flute, played all through my high school years and still do to this day. In fact, I still have my flute from high school (Yamaha 385, if that tells you how long ago this was!). I still consider myself a Jill of All Trades, and somewhat of a “Folk Music Major”(LOL). As far as divided interests, I think it is healthy for any person to explore different pathways. The only thing certain in life is change, after all, and many people need to explore to find their true path. Right now I am on the path of the harp. In ten years, who knows?

    While you have that student’s interest, help them to be the best they can be. Age should not be a factor, as I believe a passion for music transcends this.

    in reply to: Reading music #161257
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I highly recommend Pamela Bruner’s learning series. She helped me correct my bad habits, especially with my hand position and finger placements. How interesting you live in Norway- we have another commonality. My family originates in Ostby, and I have a goal to learn the song “Nidelven”. Glad I could be

    in reply to: Anyone name their harps? #105499
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I didn’t know about naming your harp until a fellow harper asked me what I had named mine. Then I decided to go on a soul search to find some fitting names. Decided on Ceriddwen for my 33 string

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 542 total)