Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161287
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Liam, Liam-

    Just play with your fingerpads- I need someone on my side anyways. LOL Your steel strings will sound just as nice. It’s OK to experiment, right? You could just use the very tips of your fingers and use your crab hand position, that way when your nails grow out you won’t be compromising your preferred

    in reply to: Just starting to teach harp and need some tips #86186
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi Phoebe-

    I too have a harp student and I am new to teaching. My student is older and has similar issues. I actually use three instruction books, using music and exercises from each section as they apply. The books I use are Sylvia Woods Teach Yourself The Folk Harp, Pamela Bruner Play The Harp Beautifully 1&2, and Exercises for Speed & Agility by Deborah Friou.

    I started with the basics- body and hand position. First question: does she need to rest this harp against her shoulder? I have a mid-size lever harp and although I tilt it back, I position it on an angle so that my knees grip and support the soundbox and my shoulder does not contact the harp. Having the harp angled slightly also enables me to see the strings better without having to crane my neck. There is an excellent article by Laurie Riley on proper body and hand position that I think might benefit you- email me and I’ll try and send it along to you.

    Really the proper hand and body position is what I think you should start with. Good habits established are much easier to maintain than breaking bad habits- and this I know from my own personal (and painful) experience.

    in reply to: sharping lever comparisons #156999
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I haven’t installed levers on my Limerick yet, but I do plan on getting the C’s & F’s at least. I find that much of the Irish & Scottish songs are played

    in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161741
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Maybe it would be better to ask what type of harp we all play and then go from there…

    Here’s another thought to ponder- is there any other classification of instrument that has this duality? The only one that comes to mind for me is a fiddler versus a violinist. Reading what I have here from this thread it makes me wonder if there is a violin forum out there and if this question posed would cause the same type of reactions.

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160810
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I’m just passing along what I was told by two harp designers that have been at this for 20+ years. This is their observations I am relying on. I just want everyone to be aware of this- I neither have the experience as either a designer or builder to make these statements about

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160807
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    If you look at the style of the Limerick, you will see the relatively straight neck. Some harp models, like pedal

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160806
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Try paint markers for your strings- they seem to endure longer. Be careful with the wound strings though (if you have any)-the paint seeping into the grooves tends to deaden the sound.

    in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161731
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Then to answer the question posed by Audrey one would simply say “I play both folk and pedal harp”-right? I don’t mean to be argumentative either, but this is a simple question to me, as I think it was intended from the beginning. Now it seems to have turned into a big can of worms (or harp-strings, if you will). LOL

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160803
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I found the same thing with my Limerick (Taliesin). The steel strings came up to pitch after only a few tunings, while my

    in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161729
    Karen Johns
    Participant
    in reply to: Folk harpers vs. classical harpists #161728
    Karen Johns
    Participant
    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160789
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    And I could be the devil’s advocate with my opinions on playing the strings with fingerpads….this could get spicy….LOL

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161279
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Whoops, mistake-

    When you go to http://www.harpkit.com click on “Sounds” in the left side menu. That will get you to the Limerick wire strung chord progression and song samples.

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161278
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Yes Liam & Audrey you knew I was going to chime in sooner or later….

    You can play a steel strung wire harp with fingerpads, using the same hand position as nylon. I have for over six months now, and Pamela Bruner does too. She has the same model harp.

    Honestly, the only difference I have noticed with fingernails versus pads is the volume in the upper range. The steel strings have a lovely, huge, bell-like sustain to them. I have listened to the Cynthia Cathcart videos on YouTube and cannot tell a huge difference between the different strings.

    in reply to: Favorite Christmas Harp Music #161591
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have that book too, it’s nice to have both versions back-to-back like that. The first Christmas song I learned out of that book was “The First Noel”. The easy version flowed very nicely, and is still in my Christmas repertoire.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 542 total)