harpcolumn

Reading music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Reading music

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Karen Johns
    Participant

Another thought occurred to me about patience in your approach to learning music. Learning music is like learning another language in

unknown-user
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

And I forgot another one that might help. Go to http://home.comcast.net/~scpron/ and look for the “little lessons”. You can choose a topic if you find the archives.

In Norway there is a highly regarded harpist named Willy Postma, teaching in a major University there. It is highly likely that if you search on the internet and find a way to contact her, she will know a teacher or an advanced harp student not too far from you! Good luck!

Tali Rothstein
    Participant

Two things that helped me were the method Rod mentioned, and also this music theory website:

http://www.musictheory.net/index.html

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thank you so much!
    Luckily, I have now found a teacher, Sunniva Wettre, who is based in Oslo. I only have lessons once a month, but it’s better than nothing. I also purchased Pamela Bruner’s Play the Harp Beautifully, and it’s helped me a lot to learn to read music. So things are looking good 🙂

Renate

unknown-user
    Participant

Tali, thank you so much for posting that site on reading music. I went there and loved the way they teach you to read the notes! I too never learned to read music, I never had to. Playing guitar with voice there just was no need. Just figure out the cords and go. I also have been writing the letters under the notes and found my self reading the letters more than

Liam M
    Participant

Hello Renate!

I share your dilemma. One thing I found which is helping is music flash cards. Although my wife is ready to feed them to me, they are helping.

I find I pick through a song reading the music the first few times then I catch the finger placements and the sound and ignore the music from then on… which is not improving my reading speed at all. But I do not read fast enough to play. I suppose time will help and diligence….

Hmmmm.. I wonder if she will cook the flash cards forst?

unknown-user
    Participant

I know exactly where you are coming from I love doing music and i think im pretty good in it but when it comes to read music i am horrible. I can not combine my hand and what i read.
    But it is just a matter of training and i promise it will be better in a few years – but never forget it has to be fun – so play sometimes without reading and you will learn soon that reading is not everything!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.