Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155101
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I agree with Audrey- my Voyageur has the same sandwiching of cherry in both the neck and pillar, and each piece is at least a 1/2 inch thick. The soundboard plywood is very thin layers of aircraft birch.

    Karen

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155099
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    From my experience building three harp kits, the internal rib does taper in width as it goes up in a larger harp, but is straight in both of my smaller(lap) harps. The external rib does not. With both of my Musicmaker harps I do not have an external rib- this may be due to the fact that it is more of an aesthetic rather than structural necessity. The internal rib of my nylon strung harp is 5-ply aircraft birch, while the wire-strung has a solid walnut strip.

    You can download pdf files of all the Musicmaker harp

    in reply to: I wish… #110215
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    …I was at the skill level to play all the music in The Harp of Brandiswhiere by Sylvia Woods. But I have a feeling when I do get to that level I’ll be wishing to be at an even higher one. Thus my mantra “Onward & Upward!”

    I have set a goal for myself though. I plan on learning one song a week, alternating between my three stringed instruments: 33 string folk harp, 26 string wire harp, and 17/18 hammered dulcimer. And praying everyday for constancy…

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155086
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well good for you, Michael! I commend anyone who wants to take the plunge and builds their own harp.

    I do suggest looking into Musicmaker’s ( http://www.harpkit.com

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161309
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hee Hee Hee- do you plan on growing your nails out all curved like theirs too? Imagine the ring you’d get from your strings!

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161303
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Just found out something interesting I wanted to share. I was listening to Sylvia Woods Harp of Brandiswhiere CD and happened to look in the inside cover. It listed two of her harps as being

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102846
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    “I do believe though music is a constant and a universal language.”

    Truer words were never spoken, Liam. I consider music to be my first language, English my second. Someday though I may learn the Irish language, since I have immersed myself in this style of music. :-)

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102844
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Just goes to show you- you can’t trust the TV! Thank goodness I don’t watch a whole lot of it.

    But then that brings up the question: Just how much does media influence the way others think of America? But that may not be appropriate for this forum, which is about harps.

    in reply to: Some Advice Please #161530
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Regarding the Sylvia Woods DVD:

    I had a real problem with this DVD- it wouldn’t play at all on my DVD player (it’s a combo player, Samsung). I returned the first one, got a second, and had the SAME problem. It kept skipping forward lessons, wouldn’t go to menu, etc. Maybe your explanation explains why this happened, but it will play on my computer and my kids Xbox 360. But I’m in the U.S., so how does that figure? This has puzzled me for a long time. All my other DVD’s work just fine on this player. Any thoughts?

    in reply to: Some Advice Please #161525
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Pamela Bruner- Play The Harp Beautifully Series. Great starter book, really takes it a step at a time. She is very thorough with her approach. I recommend getting the DVD’s that go with this book as well. Check out http://www.heartlandharps.com

    in reply to: Some Advice Please #161516
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Jennifer is absolutely right- you do not want to get this type of harp! Some people have gotten a decent sounding one, but it seems to be rather the exception than the rule.

    If you have any inclination towards trying to build a harp, the cheapest way I can point you is to build one from a kit. Try http://www.harpkit.com

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161299
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks for sharing!

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161296
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks, Liam! I appreciate your feedback :-)

    There’s really not much to envy, as I’m borrowing from my experience with lever harp(5 years now, not subtracting for breaking bad habits, playing with an ensemble, going from lap to floor size, etc.). I actually feel like I am WAY behind compared to other skilled harpers. If I were to change to the nail technique, believe me you, it would be like starting from scratch (pardon the pun)! At least now you know how the Limerick sounds…

    I have a question about those Alaska piks. I almost ordered them from Melody’s but I read somewhere that you need a little nail growth to secure them. Is that true or could I just temporarily tape them on somehow? I still haven’t ruled out at least experimenting with the traditional technique.

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161291
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks Jennifer! It always helps to get positive feedback from a fellow harper/harpist. Wire harp is still pretty new to me and although I play with fingerpads on my steel strings, I don’t recommend this technique for the Kilcoy (and yes, that model is very cute!). Audrey or Liam would be better advisors on this should you decide to get this type of wire-strung harp.

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161289
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I wish I could play with half her skill- even with fingerpads! But alas, everything takes time, and I’ve only been at my Limerick for six months. Since you and others have

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 542 total)