harpcolumn

? for the “nail” players

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists ? for the “nail” players

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Karen Johns
    Participant

I wish I could play with half her skill- even with fingerpads! But alas, everything takes time, and I’ve only been at my Limerick for six months. Since you and others have

Oh that’s nice!

Karen Johns
    Participant

Thanks Jennifer! It always helps to get positive feedback from a fellow harper/harpist. Wire harp is still pretty new to me and although I play with fingerpads on my steel strings, I don’t recommend this technique for the Kilcoy (and yes, that model is very cute!). Audrey or Liam would be better advisors on this should you decide to get this type of wire-strung harp.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The Ardival harps are really nice.

I really enjoy the Alchemy of a Rose CD.

Liam M
    Participant

Ahhh Lovely Karen!! I envy you your skill, I am not to that point yet.

Liam M
    Participant

Alchemy of a Rose is simply splendid as well. I found Cynthia’s story in there to be quite amazing as well. She started with the wire by accident.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Thanks, Liam! I appreciate your feedback :-)

There’s really not much to envy, as I’m borrowing from my experience with lever harp(5 years now, not subtracting for breaking bad habits, playing with an ensemble, going from lap to floor size, etc.). I actually feel like I am WAY behind compared to other skilled harpers. If I were to change to the nail technique, believe me you, it would be like starting from scratch (pardon the pun)! At least now you know how the Limerick sounds…

I have a question about those Alaska piks. I almost ordered them from Melody’s but I read somewhere that you need a little nail growth to secure them. Is that true or could I just temporarily tape them on somehow? I still haven’t ruled out at least experimenting with the traditional technique.

Liam M
    Participant

Not sure yet Karen, will let you know when they arrive. The inventor, Ken, is quite willing to talk with you on email. I like the guy, he said he invented them in Alaska after noting what the alternative entertain,ment there is!! I ordered mine direct from him so I can give him direct feedback on how they work.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The Irish term for “harper” (And again, these apply to all harpers…not only those who play wire.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Thanks for sharing!

Liam M
    Participant

Go raibh math agat Redwolf!

Liam M
    Participant

Nice Karen very nice… here is a translation, it actually is a hymn for the church

Here we are in the house verse slow, deep and somber.
    Where bad does not occur

All around are smiles chorus, bright happy and fast

Here in the house of the Lord repeat once

We are with family verse slow, deep and somber
    On all sides happiness

We arrive from the world verse slow, deep and somber
    Here is a deep love

Love we do not deserve verse slow, deep and somber

For sacrifice we have

Here in the house of the Lord finish bases descending and sopranos ascending.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Re the Alaska Piks…they do require some nail to hold them on.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Just found out something interesting I wanted to share. I was listening to Sylvia Woods Harp of Brandiswhiere CD and happened to look in the inside cover. It listed two of her harps as being

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies