Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Dodgy String #161443
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Ok- Carl & Audrey-

    So why do so many harp companies recommend you change all your strings every 1-2 years? Is it just a ploy to make more money off of the consumer? If that is the case, then I believe I’ll save myself $300 worth of strings that I was planning on ordering. I really thought that 1-2 years was the maximum life expectancy for strings.

    in reply to: Dodgy String #161440
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    How old are your strings? The general rule of thumb is to change strings every one to two years (the complete set). Some change their strings even more often, like every six months. If you feel the tone is sounding thin- and this happens often in the upper range as the strings age- then a re-stringing is in order. The lower wire wound strings can start to sound pretty bad as they age too.

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155121
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    What type of wire strings are you going with? As far as I know, only three types of

    in reply to: How long should one practice #86231
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I agree with you wholeheartedly about listening to music as practice, Janna. I have found by listening to other harp recordings that my own playing has improved. This is especially true when dealing with music that has tricky rhythms and several time signatures. Great insight! :-)

    in reply to: Kit Harps, how good are they? #161495
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks, Barbara- I was searching these and we posted at the same time! :-)

    in reply to: Kit Harps, how good are they? #161493
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Actually, they are called Savarez Alliance KF synthetic gut strings. They have them at Lyra – http://www.lyramusic.com

    in reply to: Kit Harps, how good are they? #161491
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Isn’t there a synthetic gut string? I think it might be called Burgundy? I’ll check on these…

    in reply to: Kit Harps, how good are they? #161489
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Audrey,

    You might be interested to know that the Voyageur can also be strung with wire strings, in case you want a larger wire-strung in the future. If you want to go with nylon, I recommend getting the performance set. The gut strings in the baritone range have a beautiful warm and mellow sound. You really can’t go wrong with the Voyageur model- it was the first harp Dave & I built from Musicmaker’s kits and it turned out great.

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155762
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Without listeners and aspiring musicians the world would be full of chickens! LOL

    Which leads us to the questions: Can there only be chickens without eggs (or vice -versa)? And which really did come first?

    But now I have really gone off the deep end…time to go play with my harp in my little padded room now…

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155758
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Oh good, a recommendation! Thanks, Audrey! But which one should I get? The low D really appeals to me, but I like the high notes too. Maybe I’ll get two- could you recommend a website/store I can order these from?

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155750
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Whoops-I forgot to add my percussion instruments. For some reason (and I know this is wrong!) I just don’t think of them as an instrument. Probably because I only dabble in them, and haven’t really applied myself to playing them with any sort of proficiency. But I do have a bohdran, a triangle, a tambourine, and various chimes and bells.

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155749
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Fiona,

    All you have to do is type in

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155748
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Wow Tony!

    So do you still play all these instruments? I have you counted at 8 including your harp. Are you also a Music Major by chance?

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155745
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I think you are right, Fiona. There is always room for another instrument, just not enough time to play them all! :-)

    in reply to: The gestation of a harp #155105
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Liam- Both of my current

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 542 total)