column

Sharping levers sharping too much! What do I do?

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Sharping levers sharping too much! What do I do?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Harper Cait
    Participant

Ok, some of my sharping levers on my Ravenna 34 are now sharping too much when engaged. Example: E flat, tuned perfectly to E flat, when the lever is engaged plays an E that is 38 cents too high. HOW do I fix this??

Background:
    -I recently changed a bunch of strings.
    -After the string-change, tons and tons of strings were buzzing against the sharping levers, so after waiting a few days for the harp to settle, I adjusted the bridge pins a bit so the strings would clear them.
    -I tried, on one string, changing the position of the lever itself up and down a little to see if that would affect how much it sharps, but it didn’t seem to help.

I’m stumped. Did I mess up my harp completely somehow? How do I fix this??

Please help! I have a gig on Saturday and I don’t know how to make it sound reasonable again!!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

If you put your strings up properly they shouldn’t have suddenly begun buzzing against the levers. It was your messing with the bridge pins that wrecked your regulation. You will need to get the strings on correctly (probably you left too much winding on them, would be my guess), and then put the pins back where they were.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Meant to say that adjusting the bridge pins in and out is one way of regulating a lever harp, so moving those will always have an effect on the regulation.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Are your tuning pins the through style or are they zithers? When you fix your strings, as Barbara suggested, make sure you back those pins out enough. Try to line them up with a string you haven’t changed yet. If the tuning pins are too deep, this can cause all sorts of problems, from added stress on the string to buzzing levers to messing up your regulation.

The only way I can see that you can quick fix this (until you have a chance to change the strings)is to tune the Eb flat so that when you engage the lever it will register the E natural in tune. Doesn’t help though if you have key changes throughout the song.

I certainly don’t envy you the task before you- fiddling with levers is kinda like performing oral surgery ;-)

Karen

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Harper Cait,

Here are some instructions from William Rees about adjusting your sharping levers.

Harper Cait
    Participant

Thanks for the responses! Between the bridgepin tip and the WM Rees article I got things back under control today, and it sounds better than ever.

I guess I learned that lesson the hard way . 🙁

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>When you fix your strings, as Barbara suggested, make sure you back those pins out enough.

Yes, for future reference this is very important on a dusty, since their tuning pins are threaded. You always need to unwind them before putting on a new string. That may well be where you first went astray. Glad you got things working again.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Harper Cait,
    Glad I was able to suggest something that was helpful.

I’ve been wondering why your new strings were buzzing against your sharping levers to begin with.

Tacye
    Participant

If the string length and pitch are fixed then the tension of a string is proportional to its mass.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Dusty sells their own strings, which are, as far as I know the only strings they want you to use. It’s far more likely that the tuning pins were not backed out enough to allow for the inward motion of tightening the new strings, thus bringing the string out much closer to the lever by the time the string was pulled up enough.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.