Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!” #149868
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Now that is a good one, Adam- I would use that as a follow-up after my own. This gives the customer an “easy-out” if they hesitate, shows your professional status as opposed to an amateur, and gives you an “easy-out” as well! :-)

    in reply to: Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!” #149863
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Carl,

    While I can appreciate your comparison from a musician’s point of view, I would ask you not to use other wedding services as a way to “one-up”your own. All aspects of a person’s wedding is important, from the beautiful flowers to the dress to the music. What if the bride is doing her own flowers, or her Mom is? You could really offend someone by using that last statement in particular.

    in reply to: I am in Harp Heaven!! #107954
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Just got the call yesterday- Dave will be starting to build my dream harp this week! Here we go- truly counting down the days now…

    Karen

    in reply to: Changing the range on a lap harp #74397
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I wouldn’t try to go too low. I tried to re-string my Irish lap harp (22 string) from the low F to the C below middle C and was really disappointed. Strings were rubbery, way too low tension for my comfort, and the sound was just dull. Also, the thicker the string, the more stress on the soundboard, so you have to be careful about that. My best advice would be to consult the manufacturer for their advice before tweaking.

    Karen

    in reply to: Need help finding a harp on a budget! #68757
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    The Triplett looks like a good harp, but I’m a little concerned about the crack going across the soundboard. Not being an expert on spruce soundboards, I’m not sure if this is a structural or merely cosmetic issue. It looks cosmetic, which is good, but the fact that it appears to go all the way across gives me pause. Anyone else have a more experienced opinion to add?

    Oh, oof, just read the above more thoroughly- it is structural. hmmm….not sure if I would chance it, but for the price? hmmmmm….but then again, to repair it should the soundboard “blow” would probably be more than it’s worth. Thoughts?

    As far as the harp kits go, I’ve built the Voyageur, Limerick, and Smart Harp models from Musicmakers. PM me if you want more details- I’m probably sounding like a broken record here on this subject, but I can say without a doubt these harps were the best choice I could have made for the money I had to spend. I’m also on a very tight budget so I can sympathize. If you want to hear them, I can also direct you to soundclips.

    Best of luck with your hunt!

    Karen

    in reply to: Has anyone made a harp from a kit? #74501
    Karen Johns
    Participant
    in reply to: Has anyone made a harp from a kit? #74499
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi Laura!

    I have currently made four harps from kits, with absolutely NO previous wood-working skills. It is most certainly “do-able”. Your husband helping you (as mine did) will be a great boon. Hardest part for me was the sanding. Here are the harps I have built, in order:

    22-string Irish Lap Harp, from a music store in Tucson,AZ, circa 1990. (Since sold)

    33-string Voyageur floor harp, Musicmakers, May 2007

    26-string Limerick lap harp, Musicmakers, July 2008

    29-string Smart harp, Musicmakers, Fall 2009 (for a student)

    I love my two harps- their tone is wonderful, and in three years I’ve had only one string break on my Voyageur, and in two years only three on my Limerick (and this is wire-strung!). Very durable and beautiful instruments, and when you build them yourself it makes it just that more special. I’ll never part with either my Voyageur or Limerick, and I HIGHLY recommend Musicmaker’s. They have great customer service and stand behind what they sell.

    So my take is to Go For It! Have fun and keep us all posted on your progress! We love pics too :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Most finger room in highest octave? #74436
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    While I don’t play pedal harp, I have seen this same problem in several brands of lever harp- you get to the upper octaves and practically have to cramp your hand to pluck the strings. The only harp maker that I have found to solve this problem is Heartland Harps with their curved soundboard. However, these are lever harps. The design is based loosely on the Tyrolean harps, which are pedal (?)- but I’m not sure if they have extra room in the upper octaves.

    Karen

    in reply to: Why do you play the harp? #102534
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    My first encounter with a harp was at a home in Tucson, AZ. I was playing my flute as an accompaniment to a meditation series and the harper and I were meeting to practice. I was so enchanted by the sound I bought my first harp kit at the shop where he worked. It was a 22 string Irish lap harp. The harper’s name was Jerry, and if I could contact him today, I would thank him for inspiring me- it has been and continues to be the most wonderful music journey….

    Three other sources of inspiration for me are the late Derek Bell, Pamela Bruner, and Sylvia Woods.

    Karen

    in reply to: what color flooring for harping #108299
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, just from my own experience harping in different places I can tell you that darker is better. The lighter (clear) strings show up better against

    in reply to: which harp for traditional music #159277
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    This brought tears. I don’t have the words…

    Karen

    in reply to: Context #84048
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I feel I have to add that the test on the children may have had a lot to do with the education system that we have in the USA today. If the capitals of other countries are not high on the teacher’s syllabus, then that may explain why those children didn’t learn them (or didn’t care to). Also, I personally feel education standards are way lower in the USA compared to the past. Compare a standard eighth grade test from 50 years ago to one from today and you’ll see what I mean. My own father could name every country and their capitals, and he was educated in the USA.

    But I digress from the main subject (sorry Saul).

    Karen

    in reply to: Context #84761
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I feel I have to add that the test on the children may have had a lot to do with the education system that we have in the USA today. If the capitals of other countries are not high on the teacher’s syllabus, then that may explain why those children didn’t learn them (or didn’t care to). Also, I personally feel education standards are way lower in the USA compared to the past. Compare a standard eighth grade test from 50 years ago to one from today and you’ll see what I mean. My own father could name every country and their capitals, and he was educated in the USA.

    But I digress from the main subject (sorry Saul).

    Karen

    in reply to: Context #85271
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I feel I have to add that the test on the children may have had a lot to do with the education system that we have in the USA today. If the capitals of other countries are not high on the teacher’s syllabus, then that may explain why those children didn’t learn them (or didn’t care to). Also, I personally feel education standards are way lower in the USA compared to the past. Compare a standard eighth grade test from 50 years ago to one from today and you’ll see what I mean. My own father could name every country and their capitals, and he was educated in the USA.

    But I digress from the main subject (sorry Saul).

    Karen

    in reply to: Bent string? #72353
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Tacye,

    I’m in the U.S.A. and I don’t adhere to any set calendar date to change my strings. I let my ear tell me when, and my fingers can basically feel when a gut string is getting too rough to play and needs to be changed. So I’m in your camp.

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 542 total)