harpcolumn

Regulations (not Rules)

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Regulations (not Rules)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

>At a time when on-the-road regulations were costing $150 to $200, he would present a bill of $800!! And on top of that demand cash!

I can attest that Carl is speaking the truth. I never knew how the guy got away with it.

barbara-low
    Participant

Rosemary,

The few technicians I know are coin operated :-).

I have had my harp regulated by several good technicians but my favorite is Mike Lewis from San Francisco, CA. He was just here in North Carolina and took care of many harpists in the area. My harp is 22 years old and gets played and moved a lot. A good harp technician will advise you on proper care and trouble shoot for you if he sees a problem. Because I play in professional orchestras so much I am very particular about my intonation. I know quite a bit about harp maintenance and can do some minor repairs and adjustments when necessary. However, there is nothing better than having your harp in top performance condition. Annual regulations are a must for me and for all harp professionals I know.

My harp sounds fantastic again and I am very happy with his work.

I highly recommend him to anyone in need of harp regulation/repair.

john-strand
    Participant

Add David Williams of Williams Harp Gallery in Dallas to your list. He is both a professional harpist (principle with the Ft. Worth Symphony and Dallas Opera) and a

carl-swanson
    Participant

There are many good regulators around now, and that’s good for the harpists all around the country. A couple of them, like me, also do major repair work. In fact that’s the main thing we do. I have the highest regard for the major work done by Tom Bell and David Williams. But there is a big difference between regulating and doing major repair work on an instrument. If a traveling regulator tells you your harp needs work and that he can do it, i suggest you get a second opinionor at the very least ask to talk to other people who have had major work done by the regulator. I’ve seen too many ‘repair jobs’ done by unqualified people that I’ve had to redo.

barbara-low
    Participant

Yes, I agree with Carl in that you should always do your research and get second opinions before having someone do major work on your harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, this is so true. Especially if you

barbara-low
    Participant

Rosemary, how awful for you. I hope you never have to go through something like that again.

unknown-user
    Participant

So do I! The Better Business Bureau in Chicago helped sort it out…as the harp company

unknown-user
    Participant

I’d like to throw my two cents in here, regarding Camacs.

peter-smith

Highly recommend Dan McGinley from Chicago. HarpRegulator.com

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I just had Robert Hohlbauch work on one of my Aoyama lever harps (a 140D). He knows the Aoyamas very well, and does great work. I know that works on all harps. He is also very reasonable, cost-wise. For a complete re-stringing, and some minor adjustment of sharping levers, I paid $48.50 (not including the price of the strings). He charges $30 per hour for a general checkup, and $36.00 for restringing this type of harp.

Robert Hohlbauch – Vancouver WA 360-696-4240, bobhohlbauch@juno.com

I was very pleased.

Tonie

These days, I do it myself.

erin-denhartigh
    Participant

Is there anyone who might be able to regulate a harp in Vancouver, Canada?

I am sure there will be many at the World Harp Congress in Vancouver

July 24-30. The host hotel is the Sheraton Wall Centre.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies