Jerusha Amado

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 973 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Christmas 'concert' for family – set list???? #212552
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,

    I needed an idea for an introduction to one of my Christmas songs. Your post reminded me of the song “Infant Holy..” and it works perfectly. Thanks!

    in reply to: new pedal harps from Camac! #212306
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Happy Thanksgiving to you, Balfour, and to everyone!

    in reply to: new pedal harps from Camac! #212081
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Brook,

    Is Image 3547 the Marion? I love the figuring on the column!

    in reply to: new pedal harps from Camac! #212020
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    What a beauty! Thanks for telling us, Brook, about the natural 11 at VA Harp Center.

    in reply to: Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor for harp #211981
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Saul–I agree that a significant portion of the heavy drama of this organ piece is lost in the translation to harp, but I admire Ms. Kibbey’s technical prowess nonetheless. I also acknowledge that there are a number of excellent works much more suited to harp that are sometimes overlooked. And to Katrina’s point, we do have a number of works of Bach’s that transfer well to the harp. Emma–You’re right in saying that this version of the Toccata and Fugue is faster than would be ideal.

    I appreciate all of your opinions. Thank you!

    in reply to: Showy Christmas solos #211964
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    The medley “Arabian Dance” and “We Three Kings of Orient Are” by Sylvia Woods is wonderful! You can find it at folkharp.com or harpcenter.com

    in reply to: new pedal harps from Camac! #211963
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Kathy,

    Thank you for this update!

    Is this new framework exclusive to only these Camac styles? Also, was the sound of the harps that you heard warm or bright?

    in reply to: Who pays? #211869
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Good points, Catherine, ones that I didn’t think of.

    in reply to: Who pays? #211863
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Sylvia,

    That sounds like a very good way to solve this issue!

    • This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Jerusha Amado.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Jerusha Amado.
    in reply to: best advice you were given? #211739
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,

    I definitely agree that attending harp festivals is good advice! I attended several of the Lyon and Healy International Jazz and Pop Fests over the years, and they helped me to progress with playing jazz on a lever harp.

    in reply to: Etiquette question #211249
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Sylvia,

    You make an excellent point here.

    One reason, though, that regulators may want clients to change their strings out is when they are dealing with aged strings, ones that are too worn or grooved to regulate properly. Strings that are too old can become “false”, a condition whereby the string cannot vibrate in tune adequately, resulting in bad sound.

    Perhaps what pedal harpists should do is time their regulation right after their new strings have settled. Does anyone have an estimate as to when that would be, on average?

    in reply to: Trying to decide which LEVER Harp to purchase? #210778
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Yikes! I’m afraid that I ended up causing the pricing rabbit hole. My apologies to Gail!

    in reply to: Trying to decide which LEVER Harp to purchase? #210772
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Brook,

    Yes, I’m still with Gabriel. He’s awesome!! I’ll email you for an update.

    Hi Biagio,

    There are so many variables involved with pricing harps. I struggled with pricing my used Silhouette that I sold a few years ago. It was in excellent condition, but it was not a recent purchase. Perhaps another point to consider is what the market will bear. Looking at how other folks are pricing similar instruments can help to determine the reality of what we can ask.

    in reply to: Trying to decide which LEVER Harp to purchase? #210757
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Biagio,

    Your information on how to price harps is very helpful!

    Do you think folks also discount a harp based on its age, regardless of condition? (I’m not sure how much entropy factors into the equation.)

    in reply to: Trying to decide which LEVER Harp to purchase? #210716
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Wil,

    No apology is necessary! Your wording of the sentence was not in error; I just misunderstood.

    Hi Biagio,

    I don’t mind at all if folks don’t agree with me, so no worries there. I bought a lever harp from someone who sold it for 20% below the retail price, which I thought was too steep of a discount. The harp was only owned for a few months and was in perfect condition. I also follow lever harp ads. I often see recently-purchased harps that are advertised at a 20% discount.

    It’s just my impression that lever harps don’t hold their value like pedal harps do; I could be wrong, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 973 total)