harpcolumn

Christmas 'concert' for family – set list????

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Christmas 'concert' for family – set list????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tanyanoel
    Participant

I am a very new adult harpist, but very enthusiastic 🙂 My family is very excited to hear me play on Christmas Day at our annual holiday gathering. I have worked very hard to learn several Christmas Carols and I can maaaaybe add one more in and still be ready to play them all in time. I would love advice on one more to add in.

Here is what I have so far: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (I call him Rudolph the Difficult Reindeer since the melody jumps around so much), Silver Bells, Angels We Have Heard on High, Jingle Bells, Silent Night, Deck the Halls and Joy to the World.

I currently play on a Triplett Eclipse (38 strings) and I am not quick enough on the draw yet to do much in the way of mid song lever changes.

andy-b
    Participant

“What Child is This” is a favorite. It can be played simply and still sound really nice.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by andy-b.
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I would not add any more music. Take what you have learned and really polish the music until you own it. Play the notes smoothly and evenly. Make sure you do not buzz or make nail noise. Think about your phrasing and musicality. Play with confidence and keep going no matter what if you make a mistake.

I would consider printing up a cute holiday program. Leave one piece out to use as an encore. Or, cut and paste from your music to make a medley as an encore. You may want to give a little history about what you are playing and why you like it to stretch out your performance. Happy harp holiday!

tanyanoel
    Participant

Thanks all! Gretchen – good advice and what a great idea, they would love a little holiday program!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Tanya, just in case you CAN add another, think about “Away in a Manger.” There are at least three different tunes for it out there, with no necessary lever changes. Another possibility is “Infant Holy, Infant Lowly,” no lever changes. Check with Angi Bemiss at Simply the Harp, Atlanta, GA, for some simple lever harp arrangements of favorite Christmas music. She is the “queen” of eliminating lever changes. Good Luck!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Balfour,

I needed an idea for an introduction to one of my Christmas songs. Your post reminded me of the song “Infant Holy..” and it works perfectly. Thanks!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Jerusha, you are welcome! I am so glad you could use “Infant Holy.” These last two weekends, I have included it in Christmas programs I have done at area churches. The kind folks who attended have loved my cherry Dusty FH36S “Cherie”. She is in fine “voice” for this wonderful holiday season, as I am sure your “Gabriel” harp is, too!

Happy Holidays!
    Balfour

wil-weten
    Participant

Tanya, you may like Sylvia Woods’ 50 Christmas Carols for All Harps.
    All these harps have an easy (as well as an intermediate (called ‘advanced’) version.
    I’ve got several harpbooks for the festive season, but this one contains lots of popular christmas songs that are rather easy to play.

tanyanoel
    Participant

Wil-weten – I have and LOVE Sylvia Woods 50 Christmas Carols book. I was so happy that there were easy versions that also had fingerings and chord symbols, that has really helped me out. I was so pleased with her book I e-mailed her to thank her for putting it together the way she did. I also downloaded mp3s from her website so I can play along, which is also helpful and a little more fun playing to a metronome.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I agree about Sylvia Woods’ books! I use them pretty much as “fake books,” since I play also by ear and love to add all sorts of variations to the printed music, ha, ha! Never play it the same way twice, I always say! One can count on Sylvia to use integrity regarding the melody and chords, so the professional performer can add to that basic framework for a really nice, unique arrangement.

A bit late to be answering but DO learn What Child is This as it is also Greensleeves. A wonderful “year round” song. Sharon

tanyanoel
    Participant

I will definitely put that on my list to learn, you can never now too many pieces 🙂

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Another good book of Christmas tunes is Angi Bemiss’Lead Sheet Basics Book III–Holiday. Simple melody and chords for 20 Christmas songs in lead sheet format plus a lovely arrangement of each.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Amen to that suggestion, Jerusha!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Tanya, how did it go on Christmas Day?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies