harpcolumn

new pedal harps from Camac!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories new pedal harps from Camac!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Have you heard about 2 new pedal harps that Camac has designed? https://www.camac-harps.com/en/harps-en/pedal/art-nouveau/

Harps EN

Has anyone had a chance to play/see one of these? I understand that they were introduced at the World Harp Congress in Hong Kong a few months ago.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Jerusha Amado.
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

and this one: https://www.camac-harps.com/en/harps-en/pedal/canopee/

Has anyone had a chance to try them out? I understand that they were introduced at the World Harp Congress in Hong Kong a few months ago.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Jerusha, Camac is doing a weekend festival (free) here in Washington DC in Nov, and they’re bringing these harps for us to try! One of the Camac guys had a booth at the Somerset festival to talk about it. I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on both of them-and they’re also bringing Isabelle Moretti to play for us! I’ll try to remember to post something afterwards about the harps…

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

That’s wonderful! Yes, please let us know what you think of them. And it’s so great that you’ll be able to hear Isabelle in person!

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Jerusha, the Camac festival here in DC happened just this past weekend and it was so terrific! Isabelle Moretti’s opening concert on Friday night was the highlight for me (she played the new gold Art Nouveau)along with her wonderful master class the next morning. And those new models they brought from France were just beautiful and each with a huge fat sound. Something about a new framework inside the sound box designed to let the harp resonate more freely…you can see some pictures from the festival on the Virginia Harp Center Facebook page, although not all the harps are pictured. There were something like 160 people there, a lot more than I thought there’d be.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for this update!

Is this new framework exclusive to only these Camac styles? Also, was the sound of the harps that you heard warm or bright?

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Yes, Jakez was explaining that the new framework would be used on their higher-end harps like the Art Nouveau and the Canopee. And the sound was definitely on the “warm” side, and quite loud and resonant too with those two models. Everybody was drooling over them. If you’re interested don’t wait too long cause the Camac people said the price is probably going up after this introductory period…

wil-weten
    Participant

Kathy, do you think Jakez meant that the new framework would be used on Camac higher-end pedal harps or on all Camac higher-end harps (so also on the higher-end lever harps)?

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Wil, I think he meant the pedal harps. Camac also brought some of their higher end lever harps, like the Excalibur, Ulysse and Isolde, but there was no mention of those getting the new framing. I was sitting behind and playing the Art Nouveau when he was explaining it to me-not that I understood completely what he was talking about. I’m sure there will be more discussion of the new framing as time goes on, I think it’s still pretty new just now. And anyway, wouldn’t additional framing add weight to a lever harp? It seems like many people want smaller and lighter lever harps these days…

wil-weten
    Participant

Thanks, Kathy. This makes sense, though my (old) 38 string Camac lever harp weight almost 20 kilo and for me, a better sounding harp would be nicer than an easier transportable harp.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Kathy,
    What beautiful instruments!! Thank you so much for sharing. Just another one for my never-ending wish list. VA Harpcenter has a natural Style 11 in right now. Take a glance on their Facebook page. It’s stunning.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

What a beauty! Thanks for telling us, Brook, about the natural 11 at VA Harp Center.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

That natural 11 truly is gorgeous! I remember 20 years ago I ordered a natural 26 (the one with the angels carved into the pillar) and Janet Harrell (the president of L&H at the time)said she was happy to do one in natural since she was so backed up with gold Harp orders. Altho Antonio said a few years later he felt that the gold 26 was a signature harp and shouldn’t be made in natural. But now they’re building the natural 11 (though not the 26), so yay! I think the natural wood really shows off the beautiful carving. More options are good. I think the Style 11 Nouveau (the one with all the color) is also beautiful.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Kathy and Jerusha, the Style 11 Nouveau harps are stunning. I know some people may think they are too gaudy, but it’s hard to tell without seeing one in person. I had the privilege of seeing and playing one about four years ago. It’s one of the most beautiful works of art I’ve ever seen, and, of course, the sound was amazing. I’m currently playing a Style 85CG, but I’m hoping to move back up to a 100 or 30 in the next year or so. I’ve had some back issues and have had to learn new ways of transporting my harps. I moved down to a Daphne 40 that you would have thought was a 23. I don’t know what Salvi has done, but it was quite nice, just too small for my tastes. My friends keep asking me why I can’t just stick with the same harp–but that’s boring!! I do have a Salvi Ana, Thormahlen Serenade, and a Stoney End Marion I’ll probably never part with.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by brook-boddie.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    brook-boddie
    Participant

And–I have no idea why those pictures are showing up sideways. I followed the instructions for trying to fix them, but no luck. Sorry about that!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.