Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
jennifer-buehler
MemberJodi, where in Nebraska are you? I am from Lincoln. Please feel free to private message me. I would say that, yes, most of the harps you are going to see in this area are L & H. However, I know someone in the area with an older Triplett. I have a Thormahlen. I know someone with a Heartland Delight in CF. I’m guessing that Heidi Beran in Lincoln or Mary Bircher in Omaha could direct you to someone with an Ogden. Lou Hurst is our L & H dealer. I don’t think he has any used harps in stock right now but he could probably help you find something to at least ry out in this area.
jennifer-buehler
MemberI just recently got some sort of survey about this to see whether or not he should do the R & D but I can’t remember his name or contact info.
jennifer-buehler
MemberKreig, what do you do with the jack end? The sticky stuff wore out on my fishman and it keeps falling out and dragging under my harp. I’m afraid that I’m going to damage the cord.
jennifer-buehler
MemberAny suggestions? 🙂
jennifer-buehler
MemberI’ve had some problems with my Crate, mostly because I don’t use it enough. The battery does need to be used regularly in order to last.
jennifer-buehler
MemberI would suggest learning more about the different organizations and their philosophies and how that fits in with your personal values, strengths and interests. For example, if you just really want to play music for people, the *field* of music therapy may not be the thing for you. Music therapy protocol involves assessment, planning and follow up evaluations. That ends up being a lot of paper work. There are differing lengths of training as well.
My degree is in music therapy but I am not currently practicing. For me personally, I found it difficult to balance the needs of my family, marketing, and continuing ed. On the other hand, I know someone who has a similarly sized family and maintains a busy private practice in addition to serving on professional boards.
However, I do not regret my training. I bought my first harp as a music therapy intern! My children are also on the autism spectrum and knowing the language of special ed has been really helpful in getting services for them. Music is also a big part of all of our lives!
Jennifer
jennifer-buehler
MemberI do tune mine in E flat and have had it regulated but…My theory is that because it’s so light weight that there’s probably some warpage of the neck and pillar. It’s not so much that the levers deaden the sound as it is that there are some that are just plain out of tune. I also have an older harp with out the threaded bridge pins.
jennifer-buehler
MemberYou could try this book.
http://www.folkharp.com/lesson-material/2987-learn-how-to-play-blues-on-your-harp.html
Verlene Schermer’s book “Cool Chords and Groovy Rhythms” also has a section on the blues.jennifer-buehler
MemberThe works mentioned would not be in public domain. Any free websites offering this music would be violating copyright law.
jennifer-buehler
MemberLooks like Ray pool has an arrangement of C’est Magnifique in American Classic Pop vol 1 and I get a Kick out of You.
jennifer-buehler
MemberI meant as far as performing. Weddings are a whole different kind of work! I haven’t done the kind of work recently to get wedding. Can’t afford the spendy ads and the wedding shows here are really for corporate types. When my kids are out of high school or can drive independently :), I will probably do more weddings.
However, as far as doing a show or performing, the restaurants and hotels don’t hire. Coffee shops are tips only. There are a few concert series around town.
jennifer-buehler
MemberSylvia, the downside is that there really isn’t anywhere else that pays. And the other thing to keep in mind is what they are willing to pay. You can ask union rate or higher but if that’s not what they’re paying musicians, that’s not what you’re going to get. Coffee shops here are generally tips and merch sales only.
jennifer-buehler
MemberCall around. Ask what they offer. In my town, retirement homes are the bread and butter of gigging musicians.
jennifer-buehler
MemberThanks so much for your prompt response! I’m so excited to get these books and start working on them. Would you be willing to PM me your email address and I could scan the page as it appears to me?
jennifer-buehler
MemberYes! It from the Brock Christmas book. I’m playing with a clarinetist so we transposed the part and I think it sounds better 🙂
The effects on the choral pieces are repeated 16th notes in the upper register and scale glisses. In one section it goes into D flat. Since I don’t tune in D flat, I end up playing more of a pentatonic gliss but it works. -
AuthorPosts