harpcolumn

What’s On Your Music Stand? (Winter, 2013)

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire What’s On Your Music Stand? (Winter, 2013)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,
    Do you have the Brock Christmas book that Barbara recommends? (Or are you using a different arrangement?)
    I have a tough time with pieces loaded with lever changes. I just try to avoid them altogether, if I can. What sound effects are in the one that you’ll be performing?

justin-lo
    Participant

Hisaishi mainly composed for Japanese animation films, like Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away. He also composed for Departures. I think his music is most commonly performed in orchestral setting, but when you asked, I did find a harp version of one of his pieces – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3xlzluUy1U ! Personally I enjoy many of his tunes, hope you’ll like them as well.

Yes! It from the Brock Christmas book. I’m playing with a clarinetist so we transposed the part and I think it sounds better 🙂
    The effects on the choral pieces are repeated 16th notes in the upper register and scale glisses. In one section it goes into D flat. Since I don’t tune in D flat, I end up playing more of a pentatonic gliss but it works.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Justin,
    Thank you for sharing that wonderful video! The piece is so beautiful! I would not have known about this composer had it not been for your post. What level is “Castle in the Sky”–intermediate, advanced? Do you know where the piece can be purchased? Also, what year was it written?

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Jennifer,
    That is one of the few Brock books that I don’t have.
    Neat effects!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies