harpcolumn

What’s On Your Music Stand? (Winter, 2013)

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire What’s On Your Music Stand? (Winter, 2013)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    Deb L requested another Music Stand thread, so here goes! What have you been working on lately?

brook-boddie
    Participant

Sunita’s “Sky and Sea” and Sam Milligan’s latest “From Medieval to Modern.” Oh, and Rhett Barnwell’s “Oh the Beautiful Treasures.”

kreig-kitts

Nothing! And glad to have the time to relax. It’s also lets me spend more of my scant available practice time working on fundamentals that need some attention. When I have 20 minutes to sit at the harp, I might practice scales and thing crossings, the slow alternating notes that will hopefully resemble actual trills someday, or playing large chords and triad inversions, arpeggiated, rolled, and block.

I was asked about some Christmas music at a church I play at sometimes, but I didn’t get the parts in time to prepare it well so I declined, and I’m glad I gave myself the extra time.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Brook and Kreig!
    Brook, I also ordered Sam’s latest book. Also, I’ve been meaning to email you—I’ll send you one right now.
    Kreig, glad to hear that you’re recharging for the new year!

deb-l
    Participant

I’m relearning carolan tunes, but my fingers are so out of practice. Once I get up to speed again I want to relearn ‘over the rainbow’ arranged by angi bemis and my next new song will be ‘if I only had a brain’, guess I’m in the mood for wizard of oz and light stuff. I will keep picking away at Janet Harrison’s tutorials and dare I say it hopefully learn some music theory and arrange my own tunes someday but that is a long term goal. I searched high and low for Alan stivell sheet music to no avail, but will continue to look..

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Deb,
    The O Carolan will come back to you! It’s all still in your muscle memory and in the memory banks of your brain.
    I love those Wizard of Oz tunes! I’ve never learned them, but would love to.
    I was just listening to Ernie and Becky Brock’s Christmas CD, and they play two songs together: “I Saw Three Ships” and “Arran Boat Song”. “Three Ships” is just beautiful! (Both songs are in Tunes to Go, a multi-genre fake book.) Have you heard “Three Ships” before?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hi, Jerusha. Becky and Ernie’s arrangement of “I Saw Three Ships/Arran Boat Song” is published, if you ever play with another instrument. I think all the arrangements on the CD are in either this book or book 2:

http://us.harp.com/info/products/pact_show/id_19394592/

deb-l
    Participant

I listened to samples from Ernie and Becky Brock’s Christmas CD, it ‘s nicely arranged for levers and different from the usual carols. I never heard three ships before, now after listening I would like to learn it too. One of the best things I’ve gotten from this forum is suggestions for sheet music that I never would have found. Thanks Jerusha and Barbara for the link. I’m almost up to speed on Carolan after tonight’s practice. My family was so happy to hear me play again.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

I’m with Kreig. Nothing!!!!! My teacher’s recital for her students was this weekend, so I am done. Now I play for my own pleasure, and it will be simple things and standard Christmas classics. I also get to spend time with my new puppy Gracie and remind her she is mine, not my husband’s dog. However, the spring recital is only 5 months away and for that, I need to conquer “The Swan”, from Carnivale of the Animals.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Barbara,
    Thank you for the tip! I love the Brocks’ arrangements, but I’m not sure when I’ll ever play with another instrument though.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Deb!
    So glad to hear that you’re back playing! It must be very comforting to both you and to your family to hear harp music in your home again.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Sherj!
    Have fun with those Christmas classics. Aren’t they great? Do you have any particular favorites?

justin-lo
    Participant

I’m trying to learn the Faure Impromptu on my own (purely for my own enjoyment), and I’m also glad to have some Joe Hisaishi music to play for Christmas! I’m expecting quite a few choral and orchestral pieces soon, including Vaughan WIlliams’ Serenade to Music and some Rutter for a late January concert. I just don’t feel comfortable not having received the parts yet.

I’m working on the Arran boat/Three Ships medley and it’s lovely! I’m doing my usual Christmas eve services. A couple of the choral pieces aren’t in lever friendly keys but it’s mostly sound effects so easy to fake.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Justin,
    I’m not familiar with Hisaishi’s music. Are there YouTube videos of it that you would recommend?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.