Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Gretchen Cover
MemberAndelin, two excellent books of arrangements not “watered down” for lever harp are Barbara Brundage’s Classics on Requests, Vol. 1 and 2. The arrangements sound very close to the original score. Included in Vol. 2 are the show-off pieces Moonlight Sonata (Adagio) and Themes from “Schederazade.”
For overseas harpists, both books are available as a PDF from http://www.folkharp.com. No shipping or duty costs. A lot of music at that site is available in PDF format.
Gretchen Cover
MemberBiago, I know another harpist who straps her pedal harp onto a board that rolls into her large Suburban-type car. I want to add that if you transport a harp any distance (or just around town), it is a good idea to use tie-down straps to prevent jarring the harp if you hit a pothole, speed bump or other road obstacle. If you want extra padding under the column or base, garden knee mats are very inexpensive and easy to store. A reminder for newbies transporting a harp: levers and tuning pins face up.
Katheryn, a transport cover is a big investment but not nearly as expensive as a harp repair or having to buy another harp. You will get your money’s worth. You may want to post a transport cover set wanted ad here or with your local harp society chapter.
Gretchen Cover
MemberNo matter what the weather, my harp never leaves the house without a full 3-piece transport cover to protect it. If you buy one, check the base cover. Most have a split at the bottom. Four Seasons harp covers makes a full base cover so you might want to check that out. I keep some rubber doormats in the car to use for unloading the harp and for my bench/gear if I have to set things down on the ground. The doormat not only keeps the harp dry, but also ensures the harp does not slip on the surface when I take it out of the van. I would get the LH transport cover since it is made for that harp. I am also so neurotic that I have a gymnastics mat in the van to eliminate the car vibration on the harp.
Gretchen Cover
MemberThe perfect music stand for a harp would be one with a flat bottom that could slide partially under the harp and would have a music holder that could slide to the right. But, the market is probably too small for that. The best I have found is the Manhassett. You can get the optional Fourscore Music Folder that lets you put up to 4 pages on the stand. The holder attaches to the stand. I’m not sure if it adjusts – you would need to check. The stand comes with optional feet protectors and some other accessories. I wrapped my stand using black bicycle handlebar tape to prevent scratching my harp. I only use an iPad now (except if I play orchestra on occasion) and I have a special stand for that. You may want to go to http://www.jwpepper.com to view their extensive lineup of music stands.
Gretchen Cover
MemberCindy, don’t do anything right away about your humidity level. Check with other harpists via the American Harp Society directory (consider joining if you have not done so) and whoever the harp tech is that comes to your area. I hope others who build/restore harps will read this thread and offer you advice. I have heard of adding humidity during the winter, but I don’t know that you would want to do so in the summer. If the humidity is constant, it should probably not be a problem. Where do you live?
Gretchen Cover
MemberI live in Florida where it is very humid. I find that my harps stay in tune much better when covered. The humidity in our house is 60%. Even when we lived up north, we kept the humidity at 60%. I just had a piano blanket made to protect the new piano strings from salt and humidity. I was told by the piano tech it is important for an instrument cover to use a natural fabric that breathes, such as wool or cotton. Synthetic fabrics will hold the moisture in.
BTW, as a slight side topic – be sure to periodically check to make sure your flat pedal felts (the white ones the pedals hit) are in place. I just moved my harp and realized several had fallen off. You can cause serious damage to your harp without them. There also 2 sizes, depending on how your pedals are wrapped.
Gretchen Cover
MemberMy 26-year-old son and his friends ask for anything Disney and Beatles. Also, All of Me by John Legend.
Gretchen Cover
MemberRead Emily Granger’s July 1 blog “50 Things I Learned After Music School”
Gretchen Cover
MemberSince I brought up ‘Stairway to Heaven,’ I feel it appropriate to ask that this topic be dropped in favor of getting back to giving gig advice to inexperienced harpists. Or start another thread on most requested gig music. Please?
Gretchen Cover
MemberOne more thing: Learn ‘Stairway to Heaven’. You will be asked often if you can play this. It falls into the same category as “Don’t you wish you played the flute?” which you will also hear a lot.
Gretchen Cover
MemberAll that wonderful recital music practiced for months then played to high standards? No one wants to hear it – unless, perhaps, you play it at church or a wedding…learn pop, jazz, standards and music you can play over and over.
Remember you are an ambassador for your instrument – people will be curious. Keep a friendly smile and have business cards on you. You don’t have to play everything perfectly. ALWAYS take a music stand light on a gig.
Gretchen Cover
MemberJinji, I understand what you are saying. I think the word would be “light or quick” rather than “tinny.” I played with two Renaissance ensembles long ago. The pieces I played on the Dolmetsch harp and then the LH Troubadour -especially canaries, hornpipes and other fast or intricate music – simply don’t work on my concert grand. The sound is too broad, deep and resonant. Only Greensleeves seems to work on all harps:) Size matters IMHO.
Gretchen Cover
MemberYes, and I find the arrangements I’ve used to be excellent. There are sample pages and oftentimes sound clips. I like try before you buy:)
Gretchen Cover
MemberWhen You Wish Upon a Star, arr. Michael Rado.
Autumn Moon, Frank Voltz (lever/pedal harp, intermediate level)
Gretchen Cover
MemberKate, the Roland is half the price of the David, and I like the option of being to use battery power as well as electric. That would have come in handy a couple weeks ago when the power went out at a wedding ceremony:) If the Roland has worked well for you, stick with that setup. I am so sorry your amp was stolen.
-
AuthorPosts