Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Alexander Technique #189765

    Alyson,

    When you think that you play something really well and feel a music high about it, you will have your own ah-ha moment of “envisioning relaxation.” You are definitely on the right track. Taking a step back to really learn the basics will serve you well. You may take baby steps but each one moves you forward. I recommend you go on youtube and check out some of the Jen Hilman yoga videos. I do the short shoulder/neck one after I practice. Stretching after you practice will help keep you limber. I would also suggest you and your instructor work on downward arpeggio exercises. That did wonders for my flexibility and ability to play faster, more evenly. Thanks for giving an update. And kudos to you for taking charge of this problem before it got out of hand (no pun intended).

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #189701

    This made me curious. I went to http://www.howtopronounce.com. There are 3 voice prompts. The spelled out pronunciation is “tour nyr.”

    in reply to: Harp studio #189691

    I have my harps in a room with tile floor and high ceilings. The sound is great. However, anything that drops on tile shatters. Unless you put the tiles close together, the grout is a pain to keep clean. We used an epoxy color sealer but when it wore after 10 years, the second go-round with the epoxy did not adhere well. We have a new synthetic wood floor in our upstairs. It is commercial grade. The brand escapes me it but it comes in panels approx 4 feet by 8 inches that are pliable – not snap-in. It is simply laid down and the installer uses a roller to flatten and smooth the floor. We put quarter rounding over it along the baseboards (the baseboard were already in place). You cannot tell it is not wood. I would do the whole house over again with that.

    My dream room would have a walk-in closet to store everything. Be sure to have lots of outlets. You may want to consider a floor outlet(s) in the room.

    in reply to: What's your favorite "Prayer" Type piece #189577

    Have you considered playing something with the church organist (if the church has a good organ/organist) as a “prayer” piece? Aria in Classic Style by Grandjany would be good. Please let us know what piece you select for the concert.

    in reply to: Alexander Technique #189548

    Alyson, being aware of your tension problem is a big step towards solving it. I cannot speak about the Alexander Technique, but I would like to suggest that you consider taking up yoga. The breathing, relaxing, developing flexibility, and becoming more aware of your body are what you learn practicing yoga. This will greatly benefit your harp playing and general well-being.

    in reply to: New Wire Strung #189521

    Your woodworking skills are admirable. The harp is beautiful. I love the wood grain and finish color which enhances the look. Great job! Next harp?

    in reply to: Referring students for paid gigs #189487

    Elizabeth, I am not a teacher, but I strongly suggest if you want students to get performance experience that you affiliate yourself with a local church. Your students could play solo, ensemble and with other instrumentalists. It is a way to give the younger and/or not so-advanced students a platform to perform. If you have a good worship arts church where you live, you may want to discuss this possibility with the music director.

    in reply to: Harp Rental Fee? #189478

    Biago, the advice I was given was a per day or perhaps two-day rate. It is the same amount of inconvenience to deliver and pick up a harp for a one or two day gig as a monthly rental.

    in reply to: Harp Rental Fee? #189476

    I asked around when I rented my harp. A couple harpists said they charge what the monthly rental fee would be for a pedal harp. Figure $250-350.00, depending on where you live, your harp, etc. Make sure you check with your harp insurer before you commit. The first time I rented my harp, mainly as a professional courtesy, I transported it and pretty much stayed with the harp for the several performances. I insist on transporting my harp because I know I will put the cover on and be more careful than anyone. Be sure to have a written contract or memo spelling out all the details.

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #189400

    Interestingly, I just looked at Guitare by Alphonse Hasselmans. At the bottom of the first page, there is a left hand chord with a B natural. Above the LH chord is written (Do b) The right hand plays a Bb in that measure. And, although the key signature already has a Bb, the composer kindly put the flat sign in front of the B to make sure the harpist knew his intention. In addition, two measures later he indicates the Cb to C nat. pedal change with (Do nat). Hasselmanns was thinking about the playability factor in his compositions. Or, maybe I got lucky with the edition I have – Lyra Music 1999.

    Carl, I totally agree with you about Salzedo’s harmonic use. That was one of his ideas that was never adapted, thankfully. For those who have not studied Salzedo, all harmonics in his music are played one octave lower than written.

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #189387

    Yea, yea, Balfour. Using the piano (which I also play) as an excuse for not playing correctly on the harp…hmmm…original:) But, you now have the problem solved. Sometimes when there is a tricky note, I do a little cut and paste job to insert the note played. It’s so much easier now with an iPad. I get thrown I when see double # and double b. Or sharps and flats in the same measure/chord.

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #189367

    Balfour, with a little more practice your Cb will sound as good as the C natural:)

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #189362

    You obviously set the Db to D nat. in measure 16 and leave it until measure 18. I then change the B nat. to Cb in measure 17. You would have already set the Cb in measure 16. Go back to C nat. at the next chord which has a C nat.

    This also applies to measure 4 (which also has a Gb to deal with).

    in reply to: Softer, Slower Show Off Piece #189314

    Whoops, got my keys wrong for Moonlight Sonata(s). Just looked at the key signature without thinking further.

    in reply to: Softer, Slower Show Off Piece #189304

    Moonlight Sonata in Barbara Brundage’s Classics on Request Vol. 2 is fairly close to the transcription by Carlos Salzedo. The lever harp version is in F rather than the Salzedo Eb. The piece does not have many lever changes. I would rate it as intermediate level.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 866 total)