Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Amp recommendation? #188498

    My guitar partner and I use the Schertler “David.” I installed a pick-up mic in my harp to use with the amp. The guitarist uses an external mic. I also bought the carrying case for the amp. I got this set-up through Dusty Springs. Their price is competitive with anything on the internet, and I wanted to support a harp vendor. As far as volume, the David is intended for large rooms but not a concert hall. You can use the amp to hookup to a PA system. You could check with Dusty Springs to see if you could try before you buy and for specifics on volume. The reps there were very helpful. The David is a little on the heavy side for me so I keep it strapped onto a collapsible luggage rack to move it.

    We did not like the Bose systems in a comparable price range.

    If budget is a big concern and/or you like your amp, I would certainly check into a rebuild.

    in reply to: Wedding gig rates in the U.S. and abroad #188370

    In our part of Florida, 100 miles north of Palm Beach, the solo harp rate for a wedding ceremony is in the $250-400 range. There are a couple harpists who regularly come from Orlando, and I do not know their rates. They are the ones who will play a beach wedding or outdoors near the ocean. (You could not pay me enough to expose my new concert grand harp to salt air).

    in reply to: Professional Ethics of What to Charge #188369

    I live in a small area in Florida where there are not many harpists. Periodically, we call or email each other to check gig rates. United you stand, divided you fall sort of thinking. I generally only play duo with my guitar partner professionally so our rate is higher than solo harp.

    in reply to: Takemitsu Toward the Sea III #188301

    According to wikipedia, there are three separate versions. Lyra Publishing has the harp/flute arrangement.

    in reply to: Looking for this song #188291

    Check out the arrangement of “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Frank Voltz (played on youtube by Michele Abbott of Vanderbilt Music) and the version by Jan Jennings (played by Lauren Baker on youtube). You just needed to look at a few more video clips:) Both are available at the websites selling harp music. I think Frank’s works on lever harp. I know Jan’s is lever harp friendly.

    in reply to: String Cutters #188247

    I use mini-wire cutters. They are available at craft stores, fabric stores, and hardware stores for under $10.00. Mine have rubber coated handles for good gripping and a bright color to find them easily. I don’t think a brand matters as long as the cutter is sharp. One harpist I know uses toenail clippers. I must confess I am too lazy to change the wire strings and leave that to the harp tech. You would need larger wire cutters for the very low strings but mini cutters would work for the thinner wire strings.

    in reply to: Interlude – Ceremony of Carols (Benjamin Britten) #188236

    For a detailed discussion of Ceremony of Carols and the key it is written, go to http://www.goodmorningbritten.wordpress.com. In the search box type in Ceremony of Carols.

    in reply to: smashed index finger #188213

    I am hearing about injuries far worse than mine so I feel a bit more fortunate. I saw the orthopedist this morning. My finger tip bone is completely fractured and is floating over the finger bone. As long as I don’t do anything stupid, the bone should “get sticky” in 2-3 weeks and start fusing together. I get the stitches on the finger pad out on Thursday. I can bend and move my finger now but more actively when the stitches come out to prevent stiffness. The recommendation by Balfour of stimulating the nerves by petting the finger was heartily endorsed. I remain on antibiotics until finished (10 days). I am supposed to keep my hand raised until the swelling is gone, about another week. Nothing was said about heat or ice, and I forgot to ask.

    For injuries like this, a cast is not used. But, I was told to put on a splint or large bandaid when I went out, if no other reason to remind myself and others to watch out for my finger. I can very lightly start playing harp in another 3 weeks IF there is no pain. I was urged to be very cautious because the bone only is starting to heal then. The more realistic time is 6 weeks.

    And, yes, every day seems like eternity right now. I am just thankful there will be a happy ending to this. Two strings broke yesterday just to add insult to injury:)

    in reply to: Harp Quartet Rep #188203

    I remember that “Musings” by Marguerite Lynn Williams is available from http://www.harpcolumnmusic.com. You can hear it on the Chicago Harp Quartet CD.

    Also, “Rhythm Song” by Erin Freund. That score and sound clip is also on Harp Column Music.

    in reply to: Harp Quartet Rep #188202

    Check http://www.harpcolumnmusic.com and the other harp music sites. Also check youtube.

    in reply to: smashed index finger #188198

    Thank you, Carol Lynn. I will do it.

    in reply to: smashed index finger #188196

    Thank you for the advice, comments and sympathy. For those of you who have experience with an injury like this, it makes this easier for me to deal with. This is a nightmare, but one that could be much worse. Luckily, we have a hand therapist in our neighborhood and I had the presence of mind today to call her. She called an orthopedist who said the swelling and numbness I have now is not a crisis. I will live until Monday to see a hand specialist:)

    Part of my recovery is not only the fracture but also the cut on the index finger pad EXACTLY along the diagonal line I would pluck the string. I get the stitches out next week. This is a wide and somewhat deep cut.

    Emma, I am so happy and relieved to know you can play again. I have been wondering how you were doing. Balfour, I will certainly ask the hand doctor about massaging and when I can do so.

    PS. Let this be a warning to HC readers to be careful of car/vehicle doors and sharp objects like knives and scissors. Let’s include dog leashes that can tangle around your hands, as well.

    in reply to: smashed index finger #188186

    I appreciate your kind words. Wish this would have happened to my little finger…or better yet, not happened.

    Biagio, Carl Swanson is a respected builder/restorer of both pedal AND lever harps. What is the point you are trying to make in your post above?

    Wonderful to have another harp and guitar duo. Thanks for sharing your video.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 866 total)