haromagik

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Roland Cube? #113052
    haromagik
    Participant

    No, I didn’t trying simply putting a mic next to the harp… I should try that. I have just acquired my first pedal harp after more than 20 years on lever, and I am excited and thrilled, and have begun wondering about amplification. I have a guitar amp that I like better for my Celtic harps. I believe mine does have a plug in for a mic… much to explore. I believe I’ve read that some harpists do put pickups in their pedal harps. It sounds like you do not. What influences your decision? I’d love your thoughts on the matter…. :o)

    in reply to: Roland Cube? #113050
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hi Sylvia, I tried using a Roland cube with both my Sandpiper and Dusty Strings celtic harps, and was not thrilled. I felt that the harps simply had too much resonance for the small amp, and that it distorted quite a bit. I used a pick-up. I still have the cube, and would love to hear from people who have used it successfully with harps. It is so lightweight and portable, which is really nice. My cube is the really small one.

    in reply to: Song in your head #112897
    haromagik
    Participant

    Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings. Anyone got a good arrangement??

    in reply to: How to transcribe #60377
    haromagik
    Participant

    I like to do my wriitng/arranging on the computer. That way you can make changes easily, copy patterns you are using in different places, move things around, just like you would in a Word document. And you can print out a beautiful copy of your music with everything lined up just right. I use Finale. You can get a free download of their most basic program, Notepad, at http://www.finalemusic.com/products/ That is where I started, and have since upgraded several times, but Notepad does a surprising amount. Good luck!

    in reply to: returning to harp after hip replacement surgery #112880
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hi Margaret, thank you so much. My surgeon wants me to have the posterior approach for various reasons, so I am going that route. I have heard great things about the anterior approach, but alas, not for me. I appreciate you words about getting back to playing quickly! That is reassuring. I love playing the harp sooooo much!

    in reply to: returning to harp after hip replacement surgery #112876
    haromagik
    Participant

    Martha, I just sent you a message… go to your page on the website.

    in reply to: returning to harp after hip replacement surgery #112874
    haromagik
    Participant

    Thank you so much for this, Martha. It is my left hip as well, and the incision is going to be through the back. I am tall too, so also sit high. I hadn’t thought about this as advantage, but you make a good point. Thanks for the reminder about moving the harp and gear…. just last night I was thinking about how I have to bend to put the transport cover on, etc. It is my intention to follow all directions and exercises to the letter. Thanks!

    haromagik
    Participant

    I’m fairly new to the forum, but for you wire strung harpers out there, have they ever featured Patrick Ball? I love him. :o)

    in reply to: returning to harp after hip replacement surgery #112872
    haromagik
    Participant

    That is good advice Eric. I think taking the harp to them would help. My friend told me that the PT came to her home for the first few visits… then showing them the harp would be even easier. I play a lot, and I know I’m going to miss it!!

    in reply to: returning to harp after hip replacement surgery #112870
    haromagik
    Participant

    Thank you so much, Gretchen and Jimmy. I’ve gathered quite a bit of info regarding the actual recovery and rehab, just wondering if anyone had any experience about actually returning to the harp afterwards. I know it is unique for each individual!

    in reply to: New Harp Song! #112856
    haromagik
    Participant

    Great job, Tracey! You are playing really well for only 5-6 lessons! Really well! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

    in reply to: Dusty Strings Ravenna 34 or Pilgrim Clarsach #77182
    haromagik
    Participant

    Hey there, do check with Dusty Strings about re-stringing one of their harps with gut… I know that harps are designed for particular strings, and you wouldn’t want to harm the harp with the wrong kind of strings. Good luck! I wish I had started playing the harp at your daughter’s age… there is an embodiment that comes with starting early that is hard to capture when you start as an adult, at least so it has seemed to me.

    in reply to: clip on tuners #77204
    haromagik
    Participant

    I just move the snark when I get too close to it to turn a string. I do move it again when I get into the higher strings so it can “hear” better. What kind of harp are you working with? Some Celtic harps have a piece of wood that extends out perpendicular to the column on the front of the harp. My Dusty does this, as does an old Triplett I used to have. You can just clip it there, and it works very well.

    in reply to: Dusty Strings Ravenna 34 or Pilgrim Clarsach #77180
    haromagik
    Participant

    I agree with much of what Shelby is saying. Two months ago I acquired a Camac Clio (pedal harp) after 20+ years of strictly Celtic harp playing. I have several Celtic harps, but my favorite is a Dusty Strings FH36B (they don’t make this one any more, but the closest model is the FH36H), and it has a bright, magical, expressive sound. As I am exploring the transition to pedal harp there are still some things I prefer on the Dusty Strings. I have found the transition to gut high-tension strings to be an interesting challenge, which I have really enjoyed. It has caused me to re-examine my technique in order to produce the best sound from the Clio, and I am getting to a point where it is becoming quite fluid and lovely. The strings on the Dusty feel a bit strange now, but with just a few minutes, I can move back and forth pretty easily. So I guess the transition between Celtic and pedal doesn’t have to be a big deal. It just takes some patience and curiosity. Hope this helps!

    I don’t know which hold their tune better overall, nylon or gut strings, but I can say that my Clio really stays in tune. I am always surprised by it.

    in reply to: clip on tuners #77202
    haromagik
    Participant

    I love my Snark too. I also have the one that can switch between vibration and sound, which is great for the high strings, which don’t register as easily. I attach mine to the tuning pins, or to the hole in the back of the harp. Really anywhere will work.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)