catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155928
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Okay, I’m electronically challenged; I’m a mechanical person.

    I’m trying to scan in a piece of sheet music that has 4 pages. We have HP Scan Pro. If I put it on document/text, it gives the option of saving more than one page to the file, but it doesn’t scan the image correctly. If I choose pictures and image-over-text pdf, it looks good but will save only one page to the file. What am I doing wrong? I don’t really want to load four separate pages onto forScore and try to keep them connected. Help?

    in reply to: Moving out – tips for travelling w/ harp? #103525
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    The back of the truck will not be cooled and the heat will damage your harp. It should be in the same climate as yourself. Any possibility of renting a van instead so the harp and everything else can be in the cabin with you and your family?

    in reply to: An open letter to a bridal magazine #144711
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    You have it completely right. If only non-musicians in the bridal profession would listen. And you’re right about the magazines: if they mention the ceremony at all, it gets short shrift compared to the reception. For too many people, it’s all about the party, never mind the real reason for the occasion.

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Join a choir! Singing is a great way to learn to read music, learn about music theory, etc. It doesn’t cost anything and is usually lots of fun and meeting nice people. If possible, find a choir with a really good director, preferably one who has studied and/or teaches voice. Singing is a great foundation for learning any instrument.

    in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155920
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Thanks! I may try using Dropbox, too, as having it saved separately from the physical equipment appeals to me.

    in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155917
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Barbara and Tony, for the music that was originally paper, what method did you choose to move it to computer? Do you scan it in or take a digital photo or what? I’ve emailed some of my own arrangements from Finale as pdfs to my ipad, and those are easy enough to open in forScore, but I have much still on paper. Suggestions?

    in reply to: amps, more is better #69790
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I’ve considered using a wireless mike but am concerned about picking up extraneous signals (a la “Car 54, Where Are You?”). Any solution?

    in reply to: Mighty Bright #103620
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    How many LEDs does it have? I have a Lotus light with 9 and I wish it had more.

    in reply to: Curious Harpmobile question #155808
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    The main reason is the bed of the truck, even with a camper cover, is not climate controlled like the interior of a van or car, so the harp can be exposed to extremes of temperature. The rule of thumb is usually that if you are comfortable in a particular atmosphere, your harp will be also. You would definitely need a mattress in there unless you move the harp in its trunk (which usually only pedal harps have and these days not even those come with trunks unless specially ordered). A smaller harp in a case might slide around and hit the sides and tailgate.

    in reply to: Strings for Harp #165781
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Carl, please let us know how you like the 3rd octave lever gauge. I am considering that in lieu of the no longer available Classic gut.

    in reply to: gut vs.nylon – regulation change? #69866
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Yes, it will, but it might not be too bad. If you can get a regulation after the change, that would be ideal.

    in reply to: Harp covers #69154
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Erin, try putting a towel over the neck of the harp where the wire ends are before you put on the cover. A thin piece of leather would be even better. It can protect your cover but doesn’t add bulk so the cover still closes.

    in reply to: Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ? #103677
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Those may no longer exist. David Ice (comments above) would be the best source about that.

    in reply to: Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ? #103675
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Look here:

    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/2653/THE-BISHOPS-WIFE/

    Great website for soundtracks of all kinds. Spell his name Eddie with an “ie” or you won’t find what you want.

    in reply to: Lyon and Healy Style 17 #69415
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Check with the harpist who plays in the nearest professional orchestra. He or she will know which harp techs come through town and when, or where the nearest one is located. You may have to drive the harp to the tech but it will be worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 584 total)