harpcolumn

THE BEST OVER ALL HARP

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists THE BEST OVER ALL HARP

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

HI, I am a True professional pedal Harp Technician. I live in Chicago Il, U.S.A. I have been a Harp Master sense 1998. I have worked with the best Harpist from all over the world… I began working and at the age of 9 years old and have done many things in my life to help fine tune my skill, to eventually find my way to working for Lyon & Healy in my home town of Chicago. I studied the harp under the best in the business Peter Whiley. and became a Road Technician for “L&H” for a few years, finally finding my way to Venus Harps. I later became a independent Technician.
    I WANT TO GO ON RECORD AND SAY I HAVE WORKED ON MANY MAKES AND MODELS OF HARPS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. AND YES “L&H” IS STILL THE BEST. HOWEVER, THE BEST HARP FOR THE MONEY IS BY FAR A “VENUS”. THE QUALITY AND CRAFTSMANSHIP ARE VERY CLOSE. THE TONE AND OVER ALL SOUND IS WONDERFUL ALSO VERY CLOSE, BUT AS ANY TRUE HARPIST KNOWS. EVERY HARP HAS A SOUND OF ITS OWN.. AND “VENUS” IS NO DIFFERENT. TO REALLY DECIDE FOR YOURELF YOU NEED TO PLAY BOTH, AND FIND THE TONE AND PRICE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU.
    George Flores
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Thanks, George! I’m Celtic/Classical harpist who has been recently wondering where I can get the best harp for my money. It’s good to know the Lyon and Healy is the best out there.

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Oh, wait. I just re-read your message and realized you were saying Venus is best (sorry). The thing is, most dealers seem to deal mainly in Lyon and Healy, Salvi and Camac. The dealers near where I live also give better deals on L&H (for example, the trade-up program). The Venus’ look beautiful (and cheap!) but nobody seems to deal with them. Anyone know why?

(Also, is there a significant diff. between Lyon and Healy, Salvi and Camac? Salvi’s look better–that’s all I can tell…and I know the Camac have a special pedal action. Any advice?)

Josiah hahaha
    Participant

Camac has a couple differences. One it need not be regulated nearly as much because of a simple way to do it at home that takes about ten minutes. There is no pedal felts instead they use rubber that is much easier to replace. No pedal rods so you wont have to replace those. Also there is more room to play in the higher register. Camac has also made a few other upgrades but those are some of the bigger ones. Oh also camac weigh less.

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Thanks, Josiah! I take it you have a Camac….sounds pretty cool!…

I do, and mine is wonderful.

Briggs

Josiah hahaha
    Participant

I do have a camac and i really like mine 🙂

CAMAC & SALVI ARE BOTH GREAT HARPS.
    MY QUOTE WAS ON HE OVER ALL QUALITY/LOOK/TONE & PRICE.
    BEING FROM THE U.S.A. I ALSO TAKE PRIDE IN THE FACT THAT VENUS IS 100% MADE IN THE U.S.A.
    AGAIN IT ALL REALLY DEPENDS WHAT THE HARPIST IS LOOKING FOR, AND I COMPLETELY SUPPORT THE FREEDOM OF CHOICE.

Much Respect,
    George Flores

CAMAC & SALVI ARE BOTH GREAT HARPS.
    MY QUOTE WAS ON THE OVER ALL QUALITY/LOOK/TONE & PRICE.
    BEING FROM THE U.S.A. I ALSO TAKE PRIDE IN THE FACT THAT VENUS IS 100% MADE IN THE U.S.A.
    AGAIN IT ALL REALLY DEPENDS WHAT THE HARPIST IS LOOKING FOR, AND I COMPLETELY SUPPORT THE FREEDOM OF CHOICE.
    Much Respect,
    George Flores

Fairy Reel
    Participant

The Venus harps really do look lovely (I haven’t had the oppurtunity to listen to one, as I live in Lyon and Healy country) but lately I have been quite taken by the Swanson Harps. They look good, weigh less, and cost less.

Anyone know more about them? I love ‘La Scoula’.

Thanks, Fairy

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Fairy,

The harpist in this clip is playing a Swanson harp (although not the “La Scuola”).

unknown-user
    Participant

I have professionaly played Salvi L&H and Venus and they each have special qualities. My personal harp is a Salvi, because I live in Canada and temps can fluctuate seriously in the winter, and Salvi seems to stand up to the changes. The symphony harpist plays Salvi as does one other professional here in the city. Venus Harps are also very popular here as they are easier to transport. Try hefting an Iris or Diana and then a Venus Paragon…the Venus is easier to move…a consideration if you intend to play in a variety of venues. My teacher owns several harps, all of them Venus and she is happy with them.

unknown-user
    Participant

How are Venus harps easier to transport? Are they on wheels and motorized?

YOU ODIOUSLY DID NOT READ WHAT I WROTE.
    I said the L&H are still the best But, VENUS is the best for over all Price, Sound and Quality. &Price.
    I WANT TO MAKE IT VERY CLEAR WHERE I STAND.I AM COMPLETELY NEUTRAL WHEN COMES TO ALL HARP COMPANIES.
    MY INTEREST IS 100% MY WORK AND MY LOVE.JUST AS IMPORTANT ALL THE WONDERFUL HARPIST ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Much Luv & Respect
    ,George Flores
    P.s.To know more about me and my story go to:
    GEORGE FLORES

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies