Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Tense, Hurting Hands #166799

    Ooooh…..tensing up can be so bad, and it is really common when playing fast passages unless you become aware of it and make yourself stop doing it. I had a similar problem on the first movement of the Parry in D. It took me a long time to get the knack of relaxation when playing fast passages. You can’t really close all the way for every note you play when you’re going that quickly……but you can be aware of the need to close anyway, and the need to stay relaxed. I made myself take a step back and slow it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down (for practice purposes). I would play each note in the passage slowly and close, keeping my hand relaxed….hand in the proper position, arm in the proper position. It worked. I did that regularly for a long time — only during practice, and it began to build into the piece when I played it at tempo. For me, it wasn’t something that I could just “fix” — just like that. It was a habit I had gotten into when learning my first really ripping piece….and one I had to break. It also makes the tone much nicer when you are relaxed. It becomes very brittle when you get all tensed.

    Good luck!

    Briggs

    in reply to: Things not to say to a non playing spouse #111279

    Honey, are you SURE you need new tires???

    in reply to: Looking for information on harp composer #111374

    I found this on the Sylvia Woods website:

    in reply to: Making an even sound #163191

    Did you ask your teacher for some ideas too? I hope you did. If you are just starting, of COURSE your playing is uneven. I’m hoping that when your teacher tells you this (s)he gives you some ideas for correcting it as well.

    in reply to: The best harp player #105458

    My favorites are Isabelle Moretti, Sandrine Chatrot, Kerstin Allvin, Marcel Grandjany and Judy Loman. 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73133

    I am a pedal harpist, but I also have a Troubadour lever harp. I played several (3 I think) different models of Triplett floor harps. I can’t tell you which they were, and I also played a Dusty 36 string harp on the same day in the same room. The Dusty was much stronger sounding and had more tension in the strings. To me the Tripletts felt “too loose” but of course I am a pedal harpist, so that is probably why. The Dusty had a much warmer tone…..and that could’ve been that particular harp too…..but I didn’t care for any of the Tripletts………and that is just my opinion. I’ve heard Tripletts played on other occasions that sounded quite nice.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Is Criticism Expired Like Yesterday’s Log-In? #111390

    I don’t love you all. I don’t even know any of you. But I appreciate many of you.

    in reply to: aoyama pedal harps #159848

    It happens a lot so it seems. Supposedly I have a harp that is substandard by some as well……HAHAHA!!!! It’s a Camac, and a wonderful instrument.

    If you love your instrument, just revel in the joy. Who cares what someone else has to say about it?

    in reply to: Is Criticism Expired Like Yesterday’s Log-In? #111380

    AMEN!

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111451

    It’d be nice to see prices on their website too.

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111446

    Yes, I was quoting facts…..FACTS. I didn’t call anyone names….my goodness…..so many “sudden appearances” here now!!

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111444

    My word!!!!! Such an overreaction from some of you!!! Who is involved in name calling or bashing???? All I said was that saying Salvis were fragile was not true. Why is this bashing? Why is this name calling? Some of you tend to really freak out at the least disagreement with what you say!! Settle DOWN…..

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111436

    It doesn’t bother you that there was false information given on an entire BRAND of harps (Salvi), huh John? Only that Venus was mentioned, I gather. Oh my………..I can almost hear the choirs of angels!!

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111434

    You didn’t offend me, you just made a false statement. Maybe the Salvi harps

    in reply to: Misnomered? #111467

    “Oh will you be my accompanyist?”

    “Please play some Mow Zart”

    “What are them thar FOOT pedals for?”

    (pedal implies foot)

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 717 total)