Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Do you support you local public radio? #110986

    WRCJ 90.9 FM in Detroit is awesome as well. You can get their streaming on the internet here:

    http://www.wrcjfm.org/listen.htm

    After a rather rugged start with some rather odd announcers, they seem to have gotten it together really well. My favorite is Dave Wagner in the morning, but that’s because he’s a personal

    in reply to: New harp buzzing #75725

    My first inclination is to check around the harp. I occasionally hear buzzing, begin to freak about my harp…..and find it is a pencil on the music stand. I use the plastic pencils where you screw out the lead, and they tend to buzz on the music stand. Amazingly it sounds exactly as if it is coming from the harp. Barring something like that, I would call the harp manufacturer and ask if there is something you can fix yourself.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Do you support you local public radio? #110982

    YES, I support our public radio station. For 5 years we had no classical station, and now that we have one back, YES YES YES!!!! Four times of the same piece in a week is a bit much, but Haydn 4 times repeated is still better than what I hear on the other stations for regular listening.

    Ours is quite good, however. You will often hear harp on ours.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: What kind of strings should I get? #162876

    Pirastro:

    in reply to: What kind of strings should I get? #162874

    The Vanderbilts have more harmonics to the sound. I hear a more bell-like tone because thet harmonic sounding the fifth

    in reply to: What kind of strings should I get? #162872

    She doesn’t have to use Bow. You can use Vanderbilt or Pirastro strings. I buy my strings for my Camac Athena (47 strings) from Vanderbilt Music for the most part, just buy base wires for a pedal harp (most people like the coated with reds and blacks for Cs and Fs — I prefer silver/coppers for the sound) and pedal guts up as high as you wish. I put Vanderbilts all the way up until

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #84467

    Maybe they need to be told that when they play their pieces over and over again and call it practice that what they are practicing

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #85690

    Maybe they need to be told that when they play their pieces over and over again and call it practice that what they are practicing

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #84462

    Are you talking about all adult beginners on harp? Or are you talking about adult amateurs? I am a professional musician who plays organ/piano/harpsichord and have a bachelor’s degree in organ performance and

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #85685

    Are you talking about all adult beginners on harp? Or are you talking about adult amateurs? I am a professional musician who plays organ/piano/harpsichord and have a bachelor’s degree in organ performance and

    in reply to: You might be a harp addict if… #110903

    You have a secret envelope where you stick every spare dollar towards your next harp.

    Your dog has a “harp beddie” near your harp where he curls up every time you practice and knows what the sound of pedals going into flat position sounds like.

    Your livingroom has become a “music room” because there is no room for a tv, couch or coffee table in there.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Did this ever happen to you? #111083

    Even bad lessons are good….and help you get better. I found this to be true. When I have a bad lesson, I analyze it and sometimes it just means I need to take a break for a couple of days from working so hard….give my mind (mostly) a break. It usually works for me. Instead of digging into my literature and etudes I just play for enjoyment for a day or two. It does wonders.

    Also, for me, my lessons are always much better if I am not doing 10 gazillion things that day beforehand. Normally, I get up at 5:00 am, teach elementary and middle school music all day (that alone is enough to blow your brain to the moon and back), zoom home, take the dog out, feed him, take him out again and play with him, play through a piece or two, zoom off and drive 40 minutes through rush hour traffic

    in reply to: German Harps #74810

    Curls,

    I see your point and understand the dollar values, but I’ll just happily stick with my wondrous beautiful well built Camac. 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: German Harps #74805

    Did you see the prices? Good GOD!

    in reply to: The Little Fountain #86806

    I started in January ’06 on the harp and began working on “The Little Fountain” in April ’06. I could play it pretty well by the

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 717 total)