Misnomered?

Posted In: Coffee Break

• Participant
    unknown-user on #111466

Do you have some favorite, or most annoying mis-pronunciations or manglings of harp-related names or words?

Mine would start with Grand-jan-ay

and Impromptu-Cap-ree (as though you were to play it in Capri pants)

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #111467

“Oh will you be my accompanyist?”

“Please play some Mow Zart”

“What are them thar FOOT pedals for?”

(pedal implies foot)

Participant
    Tacye on #111468

Eugene Onegin

Participant
    unknown-user on #111469

How is it mis-pronounced? You spelled it correctly…

I can’t stand when people spell Lucile L-u-c-i-l-l-e, especially when they knew Miss Lawrence, or use her books.

Participant
    Tacye on #111470

To be fair using the French pronunciation of the first name (i.e. not putting the v in) could possibly be justfied as standard nowadays, but missing the y out of Onegin really grates on me.

Participant
    David Ice on #111471

Ava Maria (as in Ava Garner)

Taco Bell Canon

“That Furry Thing”

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #111472

Felix “Go deh freud” (Felix Godefroid)

Jerusha

Participant
    carl-swanson on #111473

There’s a joke in France about the woman who went into a music store and told the clerk that her daughter needed the score to “Vache Qui Rie”(the cheese) instead of Walkure.

There’s another joke I heard in France about the Ladies Club in some provincal city that decided to “bring some culture” to their city, so they asked an opera director from Paris to come and talk to them about mounting an opera in the local theater. The director came to town, looked over the theater and how it was equipped, and then told them that he could do a very presentable production of Pelias and Melisand there. How much would that cost? the ladies wanted to know. He told them the price and was met with blank expressions. Finally one of the ladies said “Well, that’s a bit more than we were planing to spend. Maybe we could do Pelias this year, and Melisand next.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.