harpcolumn

Did this ever happen to you?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Did this ever happen to you?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I went to my lesson the other night.

unknown-user
    Participant

It happens to me a lot, but I’m always encouraged by the fact that I’m able to do everything the way it should be when I play immediately before and after my lesson. I’m always afraid that I’ve let my teacher down, since she sometimes asked if I’ve had enough time to practice during the week. I have noticed that there are pieces that should be simple but for some reason take a long time, three or four lessons at least, before I finish them.

As far as brain mush, I sometimes can’t remember which colored string is F and which is C.

All in all, the best remedy for me is to go back and play something I learned a month or so ago. Very reassuring.

Even bad lessons are good….and help you get better. I found this to be true. When I have a bad lesson, I analyze it and sometimes it just means I need to take a break for a couple of days from working so hard….give my mind (mostly) a break. It usually works for me. Instead of digging into my literature and etudes I just play for enjoyment for a day or two. It does wonders.

Also, for me, my lessons are always much better if I am not doing 10 gazillion things that day beforehand. Normally, I get up at 5:00 am, teach elementary and middle school music all day (that alone is enough to blow your brain to the moon and back), zoom home, take the dog out, feed him, take him out again and play with him, play through a piece or two, zoom off and drive 40 minutes through rush hour traffic

There are a number of reasons why this could happen: differences between your harp at home and the one in your teacher’s studio, fatigue, distraction, illness coming on, etc. But another thing could be the way you are practising. Sometimes you can practise for hours, but the information is not being processed at the really conscious level, so it’s akin to spinning your wheels. Slow down and be very methodical and extremely conscious of everything you are doing. Notice patterns that repeat, chord structures, anything at all that you can identify and label in your mind. Read the music while you are away from the harp. Visualize playing it while you’re in a quiet place and your eyes are closed. You will be amazed at the results you will get.

rod-c
    Participant

Hi Kay..

I think this may almost be a universal experience. I know it’s true for many, including me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies