Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155212

    Well, this is only to MY ear……and since it’s mine, I reckon I’m entitled to have this opinion, so I’m not here to start any sort of argument or negative discussions. I just hear a twang in them that I very much dislike, and it goes with the lower tension than I like. Please don’t let’s argue about it though, okay? It’s just my feelings.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155208

    One thing that is very important in choosing a smaller harp is to TRY THEM. They are all vastly different. I was looking for something with very close to pedal tension and with great integrity in the build. I refuse to consider anything with little brass rings where the string comes out of the soundboard. The brass rings

    in reply to: WHAT a conference!!!! #110975

    I really don’t know Jerusha. Everything seemed to have been video’d, but whether they are going to make a general dvd of it, I don’t know.

    I was really lucky that it was local to me this year. And the fact that it was really about healthy harping made it all the better for me.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: WHAT a conference!!!! #110973

    It surely did sound wonderful.

    in reply to: Harp is more than a passion, it is my life #110886

    Harp Junkie……I know you can conquer this, and I totally TOTALLY understand. I have never been in your position, but that doesn’t mean I never will be. Someday anyone could wake up and boom……everything is changed and nothing works the way we want. We are all 1 breath from that when you think about it. It really sounds like you are a WARRIOR and that you will win this battle. You are coming back…..and you will come back further….just don’t give up. I know you won’t because unlike some people who “play music” there are those of us who are musicians by identity and for whom there is no other path. You will get there….keep it up…..and know that you are not alone. There are thousands of people fighting their own battles every day. Listen to your body and do what you need to do and don’t look back. DO NOT look back. Look forward…..look forward to the progress you are making.

    in reply to: WHAT a conference!!!! #110971

    Hi Elizabeth! It was so good to finally meet you after reading a lot of what you have written over the past couple of years. I learned a lot about playing harmonics from just reading some of what you have written here. You are a really nice lady.

    I DID enjoy the panel discussion, but unfortunately I had to take off early and missed about 20 minutes at the end. I was helping Kerstin for the entire conference, and just had to go here and there. Most of the workshops I was able to stay, but that was a really busy morning. If you could email the handout, I would really appreciate it.

    YES on Park Stickney. Wasn’t that amazing? I loved it all too. I’m wondering if that great big Salzedo harp Judy Loman played was the same one that was in the L&H display. I assume she had her own harp, but I just wonder. I also liked all the kids playing in ensemble. That was trés cool! It was also fun to hear the harp I take lessons on occasionally playing in the chamber music recital. You know, when Calvin Stokes’ group played “Contusion” I almost felt like I was just a part of the music….in the music itself. The same thing happened on a couple of the Moretti pieces. That’s really good stuff.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Wahooo! AHS Conference Starts Tomorrow!!! #110952

    I forget what you call that audible breath in yoga, but it works. I heard it also, and it worked for her. I was about 6 rows back to her right (about 5 rows in front of where Jakez was sitting). It was a good view and good for sound.

    in reply to: Wahooo! AHS Conference Starts Tomorrow!!! #110950

    Hi Diane! I was wondering if you had gotten home yet, and I’m glad you are home safely. It was really a pleasure meeting you and sharing time with you. Like you, I’m about halfway through the music I bought. Wasn’t Moretti just amazing?

    Briggsie

    in reply to: WHAT a conference!!!! #110969

    Carl, she plays with such freedom and beauty of tone and such marvelous musicality. She played the Faure Impromptu at the very end. She said she meant to put it on the program but there was some sort of misunderstanding on the phone when they were asking about her pieces.

    The Farkas…..I’m not sure how many she played. I didn’t count them because I was so entranced with her music. I want to say maybe 8 or 9 of them? They are really nice, too. She is a very brave woman……..she goes all the way in creating music….no holding back. She just lets it rip. I admire that. It was really very warm in there that day too….and there was a terrible thunderstorm raging which at one point made the lights go off and then on again. She did not miss a beat.

    I could’ve listened to her play for hours longer. She takes you into the music with her.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: WHAT a conference!!!! #110967

    Thanks for your comments on my new little harp. I played it most of the day yesterday, tuning it a LOT and it sounds remarkably well in tune today. 🙂

    My favorite workshop was the assessment by the DMC physical therapist who observed me play and worked on some improvements to my back while sitting and some other tension points I didn’t need, because it is something I can apply.

    The meditation/yoga…..because I need both and will pursue both.

    I also liked the panel discussion on performance medicine as applied to harp playing. It was interesting. Elizabeth Volpe-Bligh was on the panel, as well as Erzbieta Gaal, 2 p.t.s and a D.O., and it was moderated by Kerstin Allvin (my teacher).

    Briggsie

    in reply to: WHAT a conference!!!! #110966

    Carl, Moretti played:

    Danses hongroises du 17eme siecle by Farkas

    Sonata K.V. 330 by Mozart

    Rondeau sur le trio ziti, ziti du Barbier de Sivelle de Rossini by Bochsa

    Bamyan by Hersant

    Le Rossignol by Liszt (trans. by Renie)

    Asturias by Albeniz

    Fantaisie Op. 12 sur l’Opera Faust de Gounod by Zabel

    A piece by Faure, whose title I can’t recall, a second encore piece whose title she didn’t give, and which I had never heard — a light cute piece, and Eleanor Plunkett by O’Carolan

    Briggsie

    in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155203

    Renting is a great idea. Going to harp exhibits is also a good idea. The suggestions here have been good. But………..don’t forget some of the smaller harp builders. I was just at the AHS conference, and both Timothy Habinski and William Webster make exceedingly beautiful instruments — both in sound, touch and looks.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Wahooo! AHS Conference Starts Tomorrow!!! #110948

    I got his Cecilia. First I tried a smaller harp (because the purpose for this one is to take it around to the various schools in which I work to enhance the kids’ music education), but I fell in love with the Cecilia. He also has a FABULOUS McCall there, but I wasn’t prepared to spend that much. He is a really nice guy to deal with. The harp sounds amazing and feels amazing for it’s size….36 strings and realy good concert tension and spacing.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Wahooo! AHS Conference Starts Tomorrow!!! #110946

    Thanks Jennifer. So far it has really been just wonderful. The concert Monday night with jazz harps was really fabulous, and tonight’s was chamber music. The last piece was Judy Loman playing with a string quartet. The workshops have been good…..the concerts have been good……the vendors have been good…..and I bought a Webster harp.

    in reply to: Do you support you local public radio? #110987

    Oh, but forgot they go to jazz at 7:00 pm for overnight…..not my favorite genre, but I rarely listen to them in the evening anyway.

    Briggs

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 717 total)