Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Sam Milligan’s Medieval to Modern Vol II and Pratt/Pratt’s Danses Pour La Dauphine.

    in reply to: getting students #86705

    Good suggestions. I would also contact local papers and put in an ad. In addition, you might contact your local high schools or middle schools….the music teachers…..and ask if you can post a card on their bulletin board indicating you give lessons.

    Briggs

    in reply to: What kind of strings should I get? #162879

    If it’s a pedal harp you can use any brand of pedal harp strings on your Venus as long as you get the proper octaves. I got my Pirastro strings here, (The Harp Connection).

    http://www.harpconnection.com/store/product.php?cat=1&scat=1&query=pirastro+1st+octave&sku=500-122-110&itemRedir=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harpconnection.com%2Fstore%2Fsearch.php%3Fcat%3D1%26scat%3D1%26query%3Dpirastro%2B1st%2Boctave

    I dislike Bow strings on my pedal harp. They just don’t sound very good.

    in reply to: Attending Harp Somerset 08? #110836

    Yes, although if you read on Timothy’s website, he did a run of 6 Aedh harps this year. Three were spoken for in advance, and three are waiting for owners unless this is an older blurb. I would like one of those for travel. They are so cute. I go away to Delaware for 9 or 10 days every summer to visit my brother and I have such withdrawal while I am gone because in the summer when I am home, I spend hours each day playing/practicing. It kills me to walk away from them for that time. It would be nice to have a “carry-on” harp to take along.

    in reply to: Attending Harp Somerset 08? #110831

    Alan, I played the Storm King at Timothy’s booth at the AHS Conference. It was beyond awesome. What a marvelous harp. Did you see Timothy’s other harps there? His flutes?

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Attending Harp Somerset 08? #110828

    Very cool on the weight. Once again, congrats on your new harp. I posted on here recently that I acquired a new Webster Cecelia at the AHS Conference. It’s just nice having another harp in the house — another good harp. 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Attending Harp Somerset 08? #110825

    You had fun, didn’t you? It sure sounds it. CONGRATULATIONS on the new harp, harp case, stool, tuner and other good stuff. What an exciting time for Lauren! I love those harp cases with the wheels that slip into the case. I wish all harp cases had that. It’s really nice. How much does the Dreamweaver weigh? And totally cool on the lever installation right then and there. It always amazes me what luthiers can do so quickly and so well. I was hoping the Dreamweavers would be at the AHS conference so I could try one. They intrigue me with the curved soundbox. But, alas, they were not there.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Help! I’m really trying to learn! #162816

    Jerusha, I so agree with your teacher. Case in point……Isabelle Moretti at the AHS Conference played everything beautifully — really difficult harp lit, and then at the end, one of her encores was a very simple, beautiful arrangement of Eleanor Plunkett, and OMG…..I had tears in my eyes listening to the beauty with which she expressed that piece.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: marketing plan #162861

    I guess I’d send them a contract with my business card attached, a professional headshot which I have from my singing

    in reply to: Has your harp ever worn a party hat? #110923

    Since you started this thread back in ’06, I have acquired a new Webster harp. Webster harps have cute little feet. One day about 3 days after it came to live with us, I was zooming through the music room to get something, and I noticed it was “wearing” my new lime green tennies. My husband had done that and not said a thing to me. It totally cracked me up.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Help! I’m really trying to learn! #162810

    Tony, your post really hit the mark!!! I totally love what you wrote to Gayle. You are RIGHT ON the money in everything you said.

    Gayle, you are awe-inspiring to me. The thought of beginning something totally foreign at the age of 67 is daunting to say the least. You did it! Not only that, but you are still DOING it. That alone is wondrous. Don’t worry about the progress you are making…..just enjoy the DOING of what you are doing. You are using your brain and your body and your heart. GO FOR IT, GIRL! And Tony’s right about the pedal harp. You just GO!!!!

    Briggsie

    Briggsie

    in reply to: from ordinary to extraordinary #110962

    Oh AMEN, Elizabeth!!!!!!!!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: from ordinary to extraordinary #110955

    Hi Irene,

    Have you listened to lots and lots of good, musical harpists? Have you listened to recent recordings of Isabelle Moretti? There are other very musical harpists out there…..Kerstin Allvin is one as well. (high heel records on CD baby). I think the more you listen to very musical playing on your specific instrument, the more you know how to approach the instrument in that way. Of course, you have to be a musical person — and I’m sure you are. But I am really a strong believer in lots and lots of listening.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155220

    No Jer…..I didn’t mean you. Sometimes on here though, when an opinion is stated, some people get all worked up. For sure not you….not at all, and I’m sorry if I worded it that way.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: New and tryng to decide on Harp #155213

    Maybe so, but I know that the brass eyelets DO break and need to be replaced. So perhaps it doesn’t have anything to do with the tension, but the small harps I have played that have them have light tension.

    Briggs

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 717 total)