Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Dust Cover for Ogden #162689

    Jean,

    As one who just made a dust cover for my Webster Cecelia out of purple velvet, I highly recommend making one. I taped a bunch of lightweight paper (could use tissue paper but we had some packing paper here) together to lie the harp down onto and trace around it. Then I measured out 2 inches along the top of the neck and down the sides. I also measured half the width of the back of the harp and went out that far +2 inches in order to have room over the widest part of the soundboard. Voila! I have a pattern now I can use over and over. It was so easy. I sewed strips of velcro down the front opening, making one side of the opening about 3 inches wider than the other so that I could have a flap.

    The velvet was kind of icky to work with on the sewing machine because of its nap, but other than that, it was really very easy…..and it’s quite pretty.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp dresses #144959

    No, but I know what you mean. I just made a PILE of Renaissance costumes though as I will be playing at the local Faire here. I love those lovely Renaissance style sleeves. I did see a bunch of vintage dresses on Ebay from the 70’s when those styles were very chi chi.

    Do you sew? If you do, you could check out some of the newest pattern books. Many of them have vintage styles in them. I was looking in one the other day, and there were all these great dresses from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Or……you could perhaps modify a Renaissance costume to be a really pretty dress.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Subaru Tribeca #110651

    I don’t know if that model will. An Outback will, and the Tribeca seems bigger to me. Maybe you can compare the inside space with an Outback’s and see. My Outie won’t take my Camac concert grand straight on, but I think maybe because I need the driver’s seat so far back. I fit it in on an angle though….and it works.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Harp dresses #144956

    Are you looking for a formal gown or a pretty full-length dress? I found a beautiful black satin gown….a-line….with a white satin border above the bust….sleeveless, but with a black wrap you can pin on…..not sure I’d like the wrap so I bought a very pretty openwork embroidered short-sleeved sweater to wear with it, and it is very pretty. It’s very formal. I got it at J.C. Penney and the little oversweater at QVC. I have discovered another very pretty set of skirts and tops made by a family in Niagara Falls on Ebay. They are new pieces….well made and really very very pretty. They all have “buy it now” prices so you don’t have to bid.

    in reply to: Discrepancy in Eleanor Plunkett #110748

    Are you talking about the second full measure (I don’t count the anacrusis) on the third beat? In Mitch Landry’s arrangement it is an A to a G. I don’t know what is correct, but that is what is there.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Right Hand Harmonics #162701

    One time awhile back Elizabeth Volpe-Bligh posted about playing harmonics and the importance of closing and lifting afterwards, and it has made a WORLD of difference in my ability to succeed in playing them.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Dressing Your Harp….Pictures? #110792

    One morning about a month ago, shortly after I got my new Webster Cecelia, I went out in the music room where it lives, and it was “wearing” a pair of my wilder tennis shoes. The harp has adorable little feet, and my husband had put the shoes on it without telling me. Cracked me up…………..

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Any sisters of SAI? #110728

    Well a musical honor society…..I am in Pi Kappa Lamda.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Double Flat in Greensleeves? #162756

    Why does it have to be in db minor? Why couldn’t you just play it in d minor? And why “should” it be played in melodic minor? I’m not sure leading tones were really popular yet when the tune was originally used.

    in reply to: Best Way to Move my harp cross crounty #148118

    Do you have a car you carry your harp around in? When I visited Louisville KY from Detroit, I just put it in my car like I do when I’m taking it to a gig.

    in reply to: Finally ready to buy a harp! But… #166758

    Michael, are you anywhere near London? There’s a fairly new harp shop called The Harp Nest. I have met the owner, and she is a very nice woman.

    http://www.theharpnest.ca/

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Delacour Levers – a new star is born #68595

    They are intriguing looking. Do they raise the pitch 1/2 step, and then another 1/2 step as discs do?

    I always thought the Norris levers were clever, but these kind of look more interesting, depending on what they are able to do.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Attending Harp Somerset 08? #110844

    No, Jerusha, but it’s a nice full sound.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Dressing Your Harp….Pictures? #110786

    Although I always swore I wouldn’t do this, one Christmas I stuck a big gold bow on the crown with the long ribbons hanging down and actually liked it. Here’s the pic. Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.

    Briggsie

    Tony, I bought that early music book at the AHS Conference, and those tunes sound so great on the new Webster harp. The Lament of Tristan is gorgeous. Did you ever listen to David Munro? (or Monroe…..can’t remember which way you spell it). He has a recording of that from the 70’s

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 717 total)