harpcolumn

Double Flat in Greensleeves?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Double Flat in Greensleeves?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello!

What is a double flat? I found out greensleeves is often played in natural minor scale, when it should be played in melodic minor.

Melodic minor looks like this apparently:
    D Melodic Minor (Ascending + Descending) = D E F G A B C D C Bdouble flat A G F E D

So my first question is, what is that Bdouble flat thing? Double flat, right? Not sure how to work that into the harp. I’m guessing its where I would turn a lever up and tune it to a flat. Then I’d lower the lever and it would be even flatter? So double flat?

Second question is, how the heck do I tune the harp? There are 15 notes right there. My harp goes 2 Cs below middle C. I’m very confused on how to procede.

I have 2 harps, so I just want to tune one to play like the original greensleeves was played. Thanks for the help!

Why does it have to be in db minor? Why couldn’t you just play it in d minor? And why “should” it be played in melodic minor? I’m not sure leading tones were really popular yet when the tune was originally used.

I would definitely not tune your harp to Db.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies