Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Congratulations to Emanuel Ceysson!! #151589

    I knew he was playing in this. I’m glad he won!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Should one play a harp outdoors? #75719

    Rule of thumb:

    in reply to: The “Perfect” harp cart #75553

    I want a harp cart that loads with the soundbox on the left (as you are behind it) and the column on the right….custom fit for my harp’s sound box. So, the harp loaded on it is sideways. On the back side (the side where normally you would be pushing it) I want some small wheels mounted that have a suspension system…..that is there is some sort of spring system so that when you hit a bump, the whole thing bounces. And you don’t remove the harp from the cart to put it in the car. You position the harp on the cart like you would without the cart at the back of the car and you then roll it in because those wheels would be there.

    That’s what I want. If it were built so it fit the soundbox on the left, the discs would be upright when you rolled it into the car.

    Briggs

    in reply to: How many years of study to become a teacher? #84420

    Don’t they offer pedagogy degrees there? It sounds like a terrible music ed course that is offered. I did a double major of music ed and performance, but over and over again I heard professors tell students you must be an excellent musician and proficient on your own instrument in order to be a good teacher. I so agree with that. Maybe my comment that you need a music degree in education was based on my own history in the 80’s. Have things changed that much? Perhaps they have…..if so….terribly sad.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: How many years of study to become a teacher? #85643

    Don’t they offer pedagogy degrees there? It sounds like a terrible music ed course that is offered. I did a double major of music ed and performance, but over and over again I heard professors tell students you must be an excellent musician and proficient on your own instrument in order to be a good teacher. I so agree with that. Maybe my comment that you need a music degree in education was based on my own history in the 80’s. Have things changed that much? Perhaps they have…..if so….terribly sad.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: aoyama pedal harps #159866

    The same happens to Camac harps, Ian. Those who have played one (or haven’t played any)

    in reply to: How many years of study to become a teacher? #84416

    You don’t need a master’s in harp performance to teach harp. However, I do agree that you need to have a teaching degree of some sort and a lot of experience teaching others. Many people are wonderful performers and don’t have a clue how to teach someone — especially someone who doesn’t think the same way they do. It doesn’t take a college degree to become familiar with harp repertoire….just lots and lots of listening and reading. Also a teacher should have a good technique themselves because modeling is often necessary. Yeah, there are a lot of fakes out there……it’s in every field. I know of a person who bills himself “Maestro” so and so and can’t play his way out of a paper bag….organist. Not sure which instrument has more fakes teaching though….voice seems to be another common genre that people think they can teach without the proper training themselves. It’s irritating.

    Briggs

    in reply to: How many years of study to become a teacher? #85639

    You don’t need a master’s in harp performance to teach harp. However, I do agree that you need to have a teaching degree of some sort and a lot of experience teaching others. Many people are wonderful performers and don’t have a clue how to teach someone — especially someone who doesn’t think the same way they do. It doesn’t take a college degree to become familiar with harp repertoire….just lots and lots of listening and reading. Also a teacher should have a good technique themselves because modeling is often necessary. Yeah, there are a lot of fakes out there……it’s in every field. I know of a person who bills himself “Maestro” so and so and can’t play his way out of a paper bag….organist. Not sure which instrument has more fakes teaching though….voice seems to be another common genre that people think they can teach without the proper training themselves. It’s irritating.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Harp Benches #75816

    Hey guess what….the Adjustrite chair is available again. It really is a nice thing to have, especially if you have harps of different heights.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Transport #75797

    Lean the harp forward, scoot the dolly under as far as you can. Pull the harp the rest of the way. Does you harp have little wheels on the feet? Mine does.

    I would never move my harp without the base cover. My base cover isn’t slick though.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Transport #75787

    I have a Camac concert grand with a transport cover. It is just two-piece because the covers made for them have a column guard built into the transport cover. However, do you have to remove the column cover everytime? Why not just leave it on. Then you would have one less piece of equipment to move…..I don’t know if that’s feasible, but it seems it would work.

    If you are planning on continuing on harp you must learn how to move it by yourself eventually. There are tiny little women who are able to do this. I know of 2 in particular who do this. (I am almost 6′ tall, but I keep myself in shape so that I can maneuver the instrument….it isn’t easy, is it?) Here’s the thing….your harp shouldn’t be twisting on the dolly. Are you strapping it on securely? Are you moving it without tipping the dolly from side to side? When I go up stairs, I simply get the dolly in my hand and gently roll up a step at a time….going down you have to take a lot of the weight as you ease it down a step. But it should never move on the dolly if you have it secured. I also ALWAYS have one hand on the neck of the harp just to make sure the harp isn’t going anywhere. I know a lady who never straps hers on the dolly, has been moving harps for 30 years and has never had an accident, but she knows how to move the dolly.

    As for getting the dolly under the harp, I move the dolly as close to the back of the base as I can get it, lean the harp forward with my left hand and slide the platform of the dolly under the base. I can’t understand why you would need two people to do that. Is the base so long on that extended base dolly that you can’t somehow position yourself to move it while leaning the harp forward? If so, I would consider a different dolly perhaps.

    You absolutely must be able to transport your harp alone. It’s your gig….it’s your responsibility. Sure there will be times when there are full flights of stairs where it might be nice to have someone pick up one end of the harp while you take the other, but some people even manage to dolly up flights of stairs regularly.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Advice on renting #160238

    Try googling for harp lessons + skype.

    in reply to: Shoes: To Wear or Not to Wear #109163

    Sounds more like a nightmare to me, Pat.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: You know you’re a harp addict… #109054

    Leigh, honest to God, this post makes absolutely no sense to me. Sorry….what is Second Life? What is “prim friendly?”

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Stiff Levers #75831

    Thank you very much Kay and Carl! I’ll loosen the nut. 🙂

    Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 717 total)