harpcolumn

Claude Bolling Suite

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Claude Bolling Suite

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    melissa-gallant
    Participant

I am curious whether anyone has tried to play the piano part from the Bolling Jazz Suite for flute and piano on the harp. …. Am I nuts for wanting to try it? :-)

Yes.

Briggsie

I looked at it once and want to go back to it when I have more time.

Hi!

I know that my teacher performed this fun piece (I am not sure if she played all of it, though) many years ago. I started transcribing it myself and I have found that, altough tricky, it is totally playable. And the Versatile would make a nice pedal study!

It may be playable, but the question is, is it harpistic? If it doesn’t sound natural to the harp, better to leave it alone. I suspect parts of it would work well and not others. Flothuis wrote a very nice piece, Sonata da Camera, for flute and harp that has jazzy harmonies. It is a good idea to commission a composer to write this sort of piece. Is Bolling still around? There is also one called Swing by Jacques Bondon, but I don’t remember if it is swing music or jazz or not.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies